Chapter 25: The One

Depuis le début

"But last night?" Cassie questions.

"We didn't meet last night. He said he and George had detention," Juliet replies quickly.

"I'm sure he'll post you something," Margie smiles weakly.

"I wouldn't blame him if he didn't." Juliet replies curtly as she slams the lid and moves over to her dresser. "What are you guys wearing to the ball?"

"Black," They say in unison.

"Bloody hell it's not a funeral," Juliet exclaims.

"Your mother insisted on the invitation," Cassie explains, "It was stated women should dress in black or gray gowns, and believe me there were no cute gray ones."

"The men are required to wear black suits and gray shirts," Re adds, "Your mother really wants you to stand out."

"Sounds like it," Juliet sighs as she sits down on her bed.

"So what exactly happens today?" Margie asks as the three crowd around Juliet.

"Well Draco and I leave at 10 so I have about 20 minutes and then the guests, you guys, arrive a quarter till three. The announcement gets made, champagne toasts and some finger foods and mingling until six which than we all floo back to Hogwarts in time for dinner at 6:30 where Dumbledore will be forced to announce my engagement to the entire bloody student body," Juliet grumbles.

"Merlin," Margie gulps.

"Tell me about it," Juliet scowls.

#####

Juliet gulps as she stands at the top of the large staircase to the ballroom. Her mother had spent a considerable amount of time on her makeup and hair as well as pulling the corset so tight under her dress she was struggling to catch her breath. She could hear the mumble of her father addressing their guests as she hid away from view, waiting for Draco to come and escort her down.

"Lovely as ever Juju," Draco smiles and offers his arm.

"You clean up well too Coco," Juliet smirks as she takes it while they walk near the edge of the top step.

"And without further adieu my son, Draco, presents our daughter, Juliet Dahlia Malfoy," Her father announces as they walk down while the guests applaud.

Juliet gives Draco's arm a tight squeeze as he leaves her by their father's side while he starts to walk towards his mother's. Draco gives her a reassuring nod as she lets go and glances at the four boys standing on the other side of her father. Marcus. Ambrose. Cassius. Adrian. The first three look very handsome but she can't even bring herself to look at Adrian. Time seems to slow as she waits for her father to announce who has earned her hand. She can see Cassie holding Alistair's arm out of the corner of her eye with Margie and Re behind them.

"It wasn't easy trying to find someone suitable for my daughter but after careful consideration I have chosen the most worthy candidate," Her father bellows, "Would the lucky gentleman step forward."

Juliet holds her breath as she waits for one of the four to move. "Thank Salazar," she mumbles as Ambrose strides forward holding a ring box shakily in his hand.

"Hi," Ambrose whispers as he starts to lower onto one knee.

"Hi," Juliet gulps as she allows him to take her hand.

"Juliet Dahlia Malfoy, will you do the honor of marrying me?" Ambrose asks steadily.

"Yes, I accept," Juliet responds in a voice she can't believe is her own as it's calmer than she feels.