11| 𝐬𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞

☽ ♞ ☾

☽ ♞ ☾

MARC SLOWLY WALKED out of Vera's bedroom. He was nervously fiddling with the T-shirt that she had given him. His heart was pounding, and he felt like he was going to have a panic attack, but he tried breathing through it. He knew he could do this - and he wanted to.

"There you are." She said sweetly as her eyes landed on the man.

"Here I am. ." He responded, scratching the back of his neck.

"Steven asked if he should be worried that you have men's clothes here." He said lightheartedly.

Vera laughed as she cooked, elegantly moving around the small kitchen. She set her spatula down and looked at the man.

"Is he. . jealous?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Little bit." Marc felt the tension slowly leaving his body as they fell into comfortable banter.

"I assure you that Steven - and you - have nothing to worry about. I stole them from an old friend of mine back home." She said as her cheeks turned pink.

"Sorry, I don't mean to insinuate that you like me or have to like me. I was just -" She began to ramble as she tried to fix her mistake.

Marc smiled softly and closed the gap between the two of them, standing in front of her short person. He raised his hand hesitantly before wrapping it around hers.

"No, no. . I understand what you were saying." He assured her.

Vera's skin burned at his touch in the most thrilling way. Steven was so lighthearted and silly, while Marc was mysterious and dark. It drove her crazy. She wanted to know everything about him.

"Well. . Good. Take a seat, and I'll serve you." She told him, shooing him towards the table.

He happily obliged and took a seat, adjusting the sweatpants that hung on his hips. Vera set a plate in front of him containing a small stack of pancakes and waffles. She set syrup in the middle of the table before grabbing herself a plate and sitting opposite of the man.

"I wasn't sure what you guys liked, so I just made both." She said, referring to the breakfast items, a nervous glint in her eyes.

"I'm good with anything. Steven prefers pancakes." He chuckled as he dug in.

"I'll keep that noted," Vera said as she tapped her head.

The two of them fell into a few minutes of comfortable silence before she requested something from him.

"So, Marc. Just like I asked Steven to, tell me about yourself."

"I - uh. There's really not much to tell." He told her.

She studied his reaction and saw the nervousness and uncomfortable look he suddenly held. She would have to take it much slower with Marc, she realized. He wasn't an open book like Steven.