4| 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

☽ ♞ ☾

                                                                                           ☽ ♞ ☾

     VERA SMILED AT Steven, who was hurrying out of the museum. He quickly waved goodbye to the guard who was at the entrance before making his way to her.

"Hey, you," Vera said sweetly.

"Hello!" He replied excitedly, making the brunette giggle.

"Where would you like to go?" She asked him with a smile.

"Wherever you would like." He replied as he nervously fiddled with his sleeve.

"Well, uh, actually. . I just moved here about two days ago, so I have absolutely no idea where I'm going." Vera said honestly, her cheeks flushing a slight red.

"Oh! Wow, uh, then let me take you to my favorite place." He told her, waving her on as he started walking.

The two walked in a comfortable silence for a few blocks until they came to a small pub. The sign was old and worn out, the windows small and slightly broken. Vera raised an eyebrow at Steven.

"It's great, I swear! It uh. . Gives it character." He assured her with a sheepish grin.

"Then lead the way, Steven." She laughed.

He opened the door for her and let her enter first, standing behind her body. The height difference was quite big, Steven towering over Vera's short stature.

The man waved at someone behind the bar and led Vera over to an empty booth. They both took a seat before picking up the menus.

"So, Steven. What do you suggest?" Vera wondered as she skimmed over the laminated menu.

"They have the best chips in town, I swear." He told her excitedly.

"Hmm, I'll be the judge of that." She teased.

"I can assure you, love." He said as he looked through the drinks, not even noticing the slip of name.

Vera found herself grinning at the word. She watched the sweet man as he intensely examined the different types of drinks, his eyebrows furrowing as he read each section of the menu.

A waitress strolled over after a few minutes and asked for their orders. Before Vera could respond, her phone began to ring. She told Steven to surprise her with whatever he thought would be best before excusing herself.

She stepped outside and into the chilly night air before answering the phone. She didn't even look at the caller ID.

"Did you find him?" Fury's familiar voice sounded from the phone.

"Well, hello to you too." Vera rolled her eyes.

"Save the pleasantries for later, Vera. Did you find him?" He brushed her off.

"Yes, I did. I'm with him right now, but you're ruining it." She huffed, hugging her jacket closer to her body to conserve any heat she had left.

"It's always so nice to talk to you." He said sarcastically.

"You too. I can feel the love from here." She teased just before the line went dead.

Vera scowled at the device, running through different explicits for Fury. Before she headed back inside, she clicked on her messages, scrolling through the photos Peter had sent her. They consisted of weird selfies and creeper shots of Sam and Bucky. She chuckled at the photos before hearting each one.

She stuffed her phone back into her pocket before heading back inside. She saw Steven nervously playing with his hair, a smile appearing on his face one he spotted her approaching.

"Hey, sorry about that." She apologized as she sat back down.

"Don't worry about it." He assured her.

"So, Steven, tell me about yourself." She said softly.

"About - about myself?" He looked at her confused, almost not believing someone wanted to hear what he said.

"Yeah, what kind of date would it be if I didn't ask about you?" She grinned teasingly.

Steven's eyes widened at her choice of words, his heartbeat suddenly picking up speed. He opened his mouth to say something, faltering for a moment.

"A - a date?"

"I'm just teasing. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." Vera giggled as she took a sip of water.

"This is just someone helping their coworker get used to the city and her new job." She added on.

"No - uh. . I like the sound of that." He responded, his lopsided smile appearing again.

"So, in order to get to know you more. . Tell me about yourself." She smiled sweetly at him.

"What would you like to know?"

"Anything you wanna tell me, Steven."

                                       ☽ ♞ ☾

It was getting late, but they were still sitting at the booth talking. Vera listened intently to every word Steven spoke. For the first time in a long time, Steven felt appreciated.

Vera found herself holding on to every word from the handsome man's lips. She didn't expect to be so intrigued by the man before her. She assumed he'd be boring or an arrogant asshole who thought he was too good for everyone else - yet here he was, kind and caring.

She had only known him for a mere 12 hours, yet she knew so much about his life. Most people might have been put off by his oversharing, but she found it endearing and innocent.

After Steven finished his thought, he sipped on his water, nervously tapping his foot. Vera glanced down at her phone, noting the time.

"Oh man, I didn't realize what time it was. I hope I didn't keep you longer than you wanted." She apologized.

"No, no. You're fine. I'm certainly in no rush to head back home." He assured her.

"In that case. . Wanna walk me home?" She inquired. It would give her more time with the man, but also because she had no idea how to return to her apartment from here.

"Of course." He grinned as he got to his feet.

Vera followed after him, and the two of them headed out the door. The chilly night air hit both of them like a brick, causing Vera to shiver.

"Where do you live?" He asked as he rubbed his hands together. Vera relayed the address, and he gave a grin in response.

"You aren't far from me. C'mon now."

The two made the trek home in mostly silence, occasionally commenting here and there. After about 10 minutes, they arrived outside of Vera's place.

"Thank you again for dinner. It was nice to spend tonight with someone rather than alone in my apartment." She thanked him.

"Of course! Although, we never talked about your job." He pointed out.

She raised her brows in surprise, now realizing that that was the whole reason for the meeting. She shrugged before speaking.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to do it again." Vera pointed out, making the man smile.

"I guess so. ." He trailed off, not sure what to say next.

Vera leaned forward and rested a hand on his shoulder before placing a small peck on his soft cheek.

"Goodnight, Steven."

                                         ☽ ♞ ☾