10 Anxiety

We got to the Shadowglen Lodge around mid-day.  When we had passed the entrance to the glen, I'd look around for my father, but after seeing noone, I realized if he had been on duty, he probably would have called out to my mother.  Then again, maybe not.  Duty before family – its how we'd survived as a race since the Sundering.  My mother gave no hint with her body language or eyes that she saw anyone either.

  We passed the building, which seemed a little busier than normal, and headed directly to the causeway between the Pools. I looked around, but didn't see any of the council, or any of who I now considered the "inner circle" in my head.

Dentaria was waiting for us, as was a gryphon nearby.  I'd never seen one in Shadowglen, but it seemed to be behaving itself.  It was currently taking a bath in the shallows by the dock, occasionally nipping at the smaller birds that would bother it from their bath.  Dentaria herself was in travel clothes, more leather than mooncloth, and had several satchels with her.

  My mother eyed the bags as we slowed and bowed. "Greetings, Priestess.  You have gotten Swiftroots message, then?"

Dentaria confirmed with a twitch of her chin. "Indeed, daughter.  I must make haste if I'm to arrive by third repast as Tyrande wishes.  Are you prepared to take the burden?"  This last comment seemed to be heavy with meaning.

I was about to suggest she take at least a short break for more food or a bath when my mother stepped closer to Dentaria and replied, "I am."

Without further words, Dentaria put her hand in the air in a salute gesture, joined by my mother, and they both closed their eyes when the air between them began to shimmer.  I heard a small hum and the hair on my temples lifted. I thought I also saw a faint glow where their hands joined, but then they let go and Dentaria stepped away.

"Elune's blessing....Sister," Dentaria farewelled, as she turned to pick up her bags and summon the gryphon from his washing. When my mother didn't say anything, I held the Priestess's things while she mounted. "Merea, why don't you fetch your mother some fresh water?  I doubt she'll want some from the east pool now that an animals been in it."  She smiled. "Also, I would ask for a report on my errand I sent you on, but that is no longer my purview.  Report as soon as you can to Keina, and she'll see to it that what needs doing gets done. And remember," she looked straight into my eyes as the gryphon reared, "be strong in Elune.  We are to all be tested this age."  The animal must have felt an imperceptible prompt or it was intelligent enough to tell the conversation was over because it changed its rear to a full blown launch and I had to hop back to not be hit by the massive wings it unfolded from its sides.  With a loud 'whoosh', it took to the air, beating the air over the cool pools furiously, leaving large marks in the soft moss where its clawed feet had pushed away.

Dentaria circled several times to gain altitude, then disappeared in the direction of the entrance.  I returned the few paces back to my mother and found she had sunk into a meditation posture, with her eyes still closed.

"Let me get you some water," I whispered, not really sure what she was doing.

"Thankyou, dear.  Just leave it here by me, then leave me be for awhile."

Concerned the run had took too much out of her, I ran over to the cistern to refresh our waterskins. After topping them off, I recorked hers and made sure it was within reaching distance if she were to need it soon.  I really wanted to stay by her and watch to be sure she was ok with....whatever she was doing, but I was really worried about Kendra.  I didn't expect a Procession or anything, but I thought someone would be here to greet my upon my return.