CHAPTER ONE - HIM

The bass thumps through the walls of the dimly lit alleyway, sending vibrations through the pavement beneath my feet. It's the sound of life, of excitement, of something that's happening just beyond my reach. I stand there for a moment, feeling the weight of my mundane existence pressing down on me like a lead weight. I need something more. Something dangerous. Something that will make my heart race and my blood pump.

I've been here before. I've gawked at my reflection in the window of the pawn shop. My long, mousey hair hung loose and lifeless around my face, and my blue eyes were dull and empty. I am just another boring, ordinary girl, trapped in a life that lacks excitement and yearns for adventure. 

Tonight, I am going to change all that.

I take a deep breath and stare at the blonde bombshell smiling back at me, my platinum blonde hair falling in soft waves around my shoulders. I've never worn a wig before or a shiny figure-hugging PVC dress. It's black. My lips and nails are painted red. I pull the mask from my purse, my hands shaking as I position the lace fabric in place and tie it around the back of my head.

Stop putting it off. 

Breath. 

You need this!

As I make my way down the alleyway, the sound of the bass grows louder with each step. When I reach the end, I turn the corner and find myself standing in front of a nondescript door. There is no neon sign, no indication of what lies beyond. But I know this is it. 

This is the place!

I push open the door and step inside. The air is thick with smoke and the smell of alcohol. I'm sure there will be drugs too. The walls are lined with people. They are all dressed in black, their faces hidden behind masks. I feel a thrill of fear and excitement course through me as I make my way through the crowd.

Who shall I choose?

And then I see him.

He's tall, dark, mysterious, standing at the bar, his back to me. I make my way over to him, my heart pounding.

"Can I buy you a drink?" I ask, my voice starting to quiver.

He turns to me, his eyes dark and intense. "What makes you think I want a drink?" he asks.

A shiver runs through me. This is it. This is the danger I have been craving. "I don't know," I shrug, my voice barely audible over the thumping bass. "I just thought..."

He leans in close to me, his breath hot on my neck. "You thought, what?" he asks.

I swallow hard, suddenly feeling very small and vulnerable. "I thought you looked like someone who needs a drink," I say, trying to sound confident.

He chuckles, a low, rumbling sound that sends shivers down my spine. "Confident," he says. "I like that."

And with that, he turns and walks away, leaving me standing there, my heart racing and my head spinning. I know he's the one. I'm already hooked – that this is the beginning of a dangerous game that could end in disaster. But I don't care. For the first time in a long time, I feel alive.

I watch him disappear into the crowd, a sense of disappointment building inside me.

Fuck, now what?

I have no idea who this man is or what he is capable of, but I know I want to find out. So, I follow him, weaving through the crowds of people until I catch up to him at the edge of the dance floor.