Chapter 49

-Chapter 49-

Killian

'And after all this time, you've never said a word. Not a word!'

The evidence of the brutal assault, clear even in the darkness, fanned the flames of anger in my chest.

I know I'm not a good husband to her.

But I thought I could at least be her protector, and apparently I couldn't even be that to her.

Of course, I had never protected her, so it wasn't hard to understand.

Barely able to control my bursting nerves, I made my way back to Edith's room and found her asleep.

But the tears that soaked her lashes and cheeks were still glistening in the light.

"Edith......"

I called her name lowly, but she was fast asleep, as if the tension had been released.

"What the hell...... are you hiding?"

Despite all the hatred that the Ludwigs and I directed at Edith, she remained tight-lipped.

I let out a long, frustrated sigh, wondering if the day would ever come when I could see her truth.

But the touch that applied the medicine to her body was as careful and gentle as ever.

It took a lot of patience as Edith squirmed and moaned at the tickles, but I worked the medicine into her skin and held her until dawn broke.

I gave a self-deprecating laugh as I watched Edith dig in for warmth, not realizing it was me.

'I guess I'm the stupid one. I'm the one being swayed like this.'

Even as I kissed Edith's cheek, I thought to myself that I was crazy.

Only a crazy man would be so swayed by a woman he didn't even know.

* * *

Edith

I woke up feeling refreshed.

I think it was because I had a very cozy dream last night, and I slept for a long time without waking up once.

In that cozy dream, someone gently touched my body.

I don't know who it was, but I didn't hate the gentle touch, as if touching something fragile. In fact, I loved it, to the point of tears.

I wanted to give myself over to those hands, to give myself over to that warmth.

'It's so strange to have a dream full of sensations.'

It was the first time I'd ever had a dream where I didn't see something or have a story.

But it lifted my mood from last night's blues, and I stretched for a good long time.

But my back, which should have been stiff, felt strange.

"Huh?"

It felt like acupuncture needles were sticking to my back like a sticky body lotion.

"Huh? What is this?"

I reached over my shoulder and touched it, and sure enough, there was something on my back.

I realized it was an ointment because it was on the 'bruised area'.

'Killian......!'

Killian was the only one who would do this.