Chapter 8

-Chapter 8-

"So, what was her reaction?" Duke Ludwig asked Philip, who had given Edith a tour of the mansion.

"She followed my instructions well, and had a surprisingly good grasp of the layout of the mansion. She especially liked the Sistine Hall, where the artwork are displayed."

"Did you notice anything strange?"

"No, not at all. In fact, contrary to the rumors, she's very dignified."

"Ha! Count Rigelhoff must have trained her for that." Duke Ludwig furrowed his brow and tapped his fingertips against the end of his chair's armrest.

She might have been trained by that snake, but surely Edith was not as rumored.

At yesterday's wedding, in addition to her vulgar dress, she maintained an elegant and upright posture to greet the guests. And although she must have been tired, she didn't lose her smile throughout the day.

Even after Killian's rude behavior during the ring exchange, she kissed the children affectionately and didn't make things awkward.

She doesn't match the rumors that labeled her as arrogant and inconsiderate.

'Rumors are often inflated by sensationalism.'

In fact, he and his wife had braced themselves for a visit this morning.

They already heard that Killian had not spent the night in the bridal chamber.

They knew she would come and question them. Whether it was about how they raised their son or how he disrespected her, Edith had plenty to say.

But she literally came to say good morning.

The Duke tried to provoke her, but it only backfired.

'Killian, he's making things difficult and we're running out of things to say!'

It was no secret that Killian is in love with Lizé.

Duke Ludwig also adored Lizé as if she was his own daughter, and planned to make her his daughter-in-law.

But, until this year, Count Rigelhoff had to be kept on a leash to keep him from aligning himself with Archduke Langston, so he could not refuse the offer of a marriage alliance with Edith.

Although he felt sorry for Killian, he couldn't give Cliff, his heir, the daughter of Count Rigelhoff. After much persuasion, Killian and Edith were finally married.

"Don't force me to be anything more than a couple on paper."

Killian walked away with those words, looking as if he lost his soul. And the Duke could say nothing.

But Edith was rumored to be a wicked woman, and Killian's neglect of her would at least maintain his justification for expelling her later.

'I never thought Edith would be so calm and docile...'

Duke Ludwig let out a sigh.

Philip cleared his throat beside him and added, "As a matter of fact... on our way back through the Great Hall, Miss Edith spotted Master Killian on the opposite balcony..."

"On the balcony? No way...!" Duke Ludwig frowned at the word 'balcony'. On the balcony of the Great Hall, Lizé and his two sons often took tea.

"Yes... Master Cliff and Master Killian were having tea with Miss Lizé."

The Duke covered his forehead with his hand.

Yesterday was the wedding. And the groom had not even spent the night in the bridal chamber. Then the next morning, the bride saw him flirting with another woman.