Chapter 6

-Chapter 6-

Killian

"Earlier, when I was walking Miss Edith out the door... she complimented me on my dress. At the time I was happy..." Lizé spoked softly as she fiddled with the hem of her dress.

I bought her the dress she wore today. I wanted her to wear it at my wedding.

Initially, she tried to resist the idea of wearing a white dress to a wedding, but I had begged her, saying, "This is ivory, not white."

Besides, Edith's dress is white with a lot of gold threads mixed in, it was so extravagant that it couldn't be compared to this dress. So in the end, Lizé accepted my request, thinking that a modest dress like this would be fine.

However, if Edith's compliment, "Your dress looks great on you," was meant to be sarcastic, she must have looked funny for grinning widely in front of her without realizing what she really meant.

"Do you think Miss Edith was offended?" She worriedly asked.

I gritted my teeth at the mention of Lizé's dress.

'How cowardly to talk to the powerless Lizé, when you know very well that it was the Ludwig family who prepared her dress..'

However, I couldn't see Lizé's heartbreak over such a thing. "No way. Think about the dress she was wearing today, there's no way she'd be sensitive about your dress."

"Oh, but Miss Edith was so pretty today. So sparkly and..."

"She looked vulgar"

"W-what do you mean, Killian! How can you call your own wife vulgar?" Lizé asked, looking shocked.

Once I saw that expression on her face, I quickly calmed my ferocity. "I'm sorry. That was a harsh word to use in front of you."

"Your apology should not be to me, but to Miss Edith! Don't you even feel sorry for her? She's come here alone, where she doesn't know anyone, trusting only you. You're supposed to look after her."

Hearing Lizé's concern for Edith felt like a stab to the heart.

I grabbed her wrist and asked in a low voice, "Did you mean what you said?"

"Killian...!"

"You're cruel, Lizé. Do you really have no idea how I got through today?"

Lizé's blue eyes trembled uneasily.

I was sure that Lizé knew my heart. But just like me, Lizé was someone who could not express any opinion about this marriage. Maybe this was her way of trying to soothe my heart.

She would say something like: 'This is what happened, put your heart in Edith... Don't be too sad...'

But I didn't want to hear it.

"Lizé..."

"Killian. I'm... I'm..."

As Lizé was at a loss for words, I lifted her chin, the look of surprised on her face was adorable.

How comforting it was to see such sweetness and innocence, like spring sunshine.

I slowly approached Lizé's lips.

"Lizé!" A voice called out.

If it weren't for the interruption, I might have been able to kiss Lizé today.

Startled, Lizé pulled away from me and waved at Cliff with an awkward smile. "C-cliff!"

"That guy really..." I growled lowly, but Lizé pretended not to hear.