Chapter Eleven: Death Lurking From The Shadows

Warning: Mentions of self-harm

*Flashback to earlier*

Q reached for his phone in his pocket debating to text this person or not. His thumb hesitated over the person's name before finally deciding to hit the call button. He swallowed the lump in his throat as the person picked up.

"Hey, I have a favor to ask you. Could you go up to the rooftop and check on Sunwoo? I can't make it up there to do so". Q bit his lip as a shot of pain ripped through his rib cage. The person hesitated looking around at the crowd of people. "Y-Yeah, sure Changmin, I can. Is everything okay? Your voice sounds different". The person caught Q struggling for a breath of air.

"Yeah everything is fine. I appreciate you checking on him. I will see you later at school". With that Q abruptly hung up.

*End of flashback*

Min-Joo glances down at her phone baffled that Q asked her to check on Sunwoo. Despite saying yes, she wanted to help considering he helped her in time of need. She quickly put her phone in her leather jacket making her way through the crowd. Even though her vision was blurry Min-Joo, could still faintly see where she was going. She felt the walls to help guid her to where she needed to go. Although, the cloud of vaping and smoke made it more difficult to see.

Despite only living here for a month, she still couldn't find her way around here. The building had too many hallways for one thing. And it  also didn't help that every hallway was identical in one color, gray. It didn't help the fact that she still struggled with her eyesight. She refused to use her mobility cane. Min-joo didn't want to be labeled. She gave up using it as it made people make fun of her or trip her.

Min-Joo turns her head and sees the rooftop sign and slowly makes her way up the cement steps. Steps were the hardest thing to do since she could never see the bottom of the next step. She took one at a time trying to keep her footing.

Min-Joo puts her hands on her knees to catch her breath as she had climbed four flights of stairs. She only had a couple more flights of stairs left. As she got closer to the top, she could feel that the temperature had dropped several degrees. She found it odd considering the heat was on in the building. It was only this spot that was chillingly cold. She rubbed her arms to warm herself up.

As Min-Joo stood in front of the door she struggled to open it as it seemed jammed. With all her body weight she rammed her shoulder into the door as hard as she could. The door remained unmoving as she kicked it out of frustration. With one last effort Min-Joo slammed her shoulder into the door, which made a loud sound. She rubbed her shoulder as it ached with pain. By tomorrow she knew that there would be a bruise. Min-Joo slid the door open feeling the blast of cold air hit her skin.

From the distance Min-Joo could feel her heart race as she watched Sunwoo perched on top of the buildings ledge. Immediately she thought Sunwoo was going to jump. His hair was blowing in the wind as his head was tilted towards the sky. She briskly ran towards him feeling her heart rate pick up. As she got closer she watched Sunwoo jump down from the ledge making her feel a bit more at ease. But still she felt something was wrong. His stance was rigged as he wobbled on his two feet.

Min-Joo watches as Sunwoo loses his footing as he starts to fall sideways. She rushes towards his side catching Sunwoo mid-fall. She eases herself on the ground, laying Sunwoo on her lap. She looks at him worriedly through her sunglasses.

Sunwoo's eyes flicker open briefly searching her face.

"M-Min-Joo?" Sunwoo's voice came out weakly as his eyes slowly closed. Min-Joo watches in horror as Sunwoo's arm slowly falls towards the ground, his hand resting in the snow.