Chapter One: The Bystander

Sunwoo knew he didn't belong. The looks of his peers were burning holes into him as he walked the hallway. Whispers and murmurs could be heard as Sunwoo made his way towards his locker. Several times Sunwoo could hear his name being mentioned. Sunwoo hung his head and nervously grabbed a hold of his book bag straps and tried his best to ignore them. Sunwoo opened the locker grabbing his stuff before headed towards his desk. He glanced over at the time with a heavy sigh. Sunwoo only had ten minutes to listen to music.

Sunwoo reached in his jacket pocket for his headphones and slipped them on. He scrolled through several different playlists before finally picking one.

A slow rhythm of the guitar kicked in right after the piano intro. Sunwoo crossed his arms on the desk before lying his head down on his arm and closes his eyes. Slowly, all the comments about him had slowly diminished as the music put him into a light sleep.

He dreamt of a normal life, but deep down Sunwoo knew that it would never be as normal as it once was. In fact all he ever wanted to do was hide and never show himself to others. Going to school was already hard enough. But having others not accept you was even more difficult.

Q, Sunwoo's deskmate and friend glanced on worriedly as his friend slept peacefully. But what worried him the most were the dark prominent circles under his eyes. He knew that Sunwoo was going through a tough time, but still worried if he was taking care of himself. Sunwoo always seemed to look exhausted these days, unlike his usual happy self. Q sighed before turning his attention towards the documentary on the tv.

The bell rang taking Q out of his thoughts. Q didn't want to wake his friend up, but knew that he needed to get to their next class. He glances over at Sunwoo who was still asleep. Hesitantly Q gently shook Sunwoo's shoulder.

Suddenly he was awoken when someone lightly shook his shoulder, startling him awake. Sunwoo looked around dazed and confused before meeting the eyes of his desk mate. Q looked at him with a smirk on his face.

"Hey, sleeping beauty the bell just rang. We watched a documentary for the period, so I did your notes for you. At lunch time you can copy them". Q explained. Sunwoo nodded. "Thanks for doing that for me. Apparently I was more tired than I thought. Okay, I will be sure to grab my notebook and I'll meet you at the usual spot". Sunwoo was grateful to have a good friend like Q.

Q helped his school life become better and more bearable to being able to adjust. But some days were worse than others. "No problem it's what friends do. Oh, by the way after school can I drop by your studio? I have a demo for you". Q questioned.

At the mention of the word demo Sunwoo perks up. "Really you finished the demo already?" Sunwoo asked excitement to his tone. Q nodded in response. "Just finished it last night. I had to tweak a few things, but it's just the rough draft. The real magic hasn't even happened yet". Q responded.

"Yeah, bring it by the studio and I will listen to it. Anyway see you at lunch". Sunwoo said as he picked up his books and left the room.

He dreaded his next class because it was one of his worse subjects. Sure Sunwoo got decent grades, but it was more dreadful due to a certain someone. Sunwoo barely made it to the door when the bell rang. He sighed a breath of relief. Good he wasn't caught.

Sunwoo could feel the eyes of his classmates on him as he walked to his chair. Suddenly, Sunwoo could feel himself falling forward towards the ground. As he fell Sunwoo could feel his left ankle twinge with pain. Luckily his quick reflexes kicked in and only fell to his knees as he caught himself. He whirls around to glare at the culprit who tripped him. Sitting there was Nam Su-Jin with a smug look on his face.

Sunwoo could feel his face heating up with embarrassment. He clinched his knuckles even tighter as anger courses through him. The teacher turns around upon the classroom erupting into laughter. Confused she looks around until her eyes catch Sunwoo who is sprawled out onto the floor.