FIFTEEN

They all screamed as they were thrown back and fourth across the elevator.

''We're going down!'' Steve yelled out of panic.

''Yeah no shit, Harrington!'' Robin yelled back.

''Why don't these buttons work?'' Dustin shouted.

Then, the elevator jerking suddenly stopped.

They fell down once more.

Tara winced and was dazed.

A large box fell onto Steve.

''My groin. It fell on my groin.'' Steve complained as he struggled underneath it.

Dustin lifted the box off Steve.

Tara slowly stood up to her feet, her head slightly spinning.

''Is everyone okay?'' Robin asked.

Tara stumbled a bit, regaining her breath.

''Yeah I'm great now that I know russians can't design elevators!'' Steve yelled at Robin.

''Woah, you're alright?'' Dustin asked Tara who nodded.

''I think we've clearly established those buttons don't do anything.'' Robin said to Steve, who was still frantically pressing buttons.

''They're buttons! They have to do something!'' Steve snapped at her.

''Yeah, if we had a keycard.'' Robin said. ''It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a keycard, it won't operate meaning--''

''We're stuck in here.'' Dustin realized.

''Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow and my mom finds out that you four are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down one by one, and slit your throats!'' Erica threatens. 

Tara was seriously losing her patience with her.

''I don't care about Tina, or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom's not going to be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!'' Steve snapped at her.

''Won't die.'' Tara assured him. ''Promise.''

''You talk funny.'' Erica mutters sarcastically.

Dustin suddenly pointed upwards.

''Hey. What if we climbed out?'' Dustin asked.

They got up onto the second floor and the ceiling was very tall.

As someone had been in the elevator, they left so Scoops Troop quickly jumped down and Steve placed the mysterious jar down to keep the door from closing.

They quickly slid under the door just before the jar shattered.

''Oh, jesus.'' Dustin whined.

They turned around, only to find an incredibly long corridor.

''Hope you guys are in good shape. Looking at you, Roast Beef.'' Steve said to Dustin as he began to walk.

The others followed him.

''I mean, you have to admit; as a feat of engineering alone, this is impressive.'' Dustin said in awe.

 ''What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard. There's no stairs, there's no exit. There's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell.'' Steve said.

''They're commies. You don't pay people; they cut corners.'' Erica told him.

''To be fair to our russian commies, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking.'' Robin said. ''Think about it; they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo.''

''It all comes into the mall like any old delivery.'' Dustin said.

''And then they load it up onto those trucks and nobody's the wiser.'' Robin added.

''You think they built this whole mall so they could transport that green poison?'' Steve asked.

''I very seriously doubt it's something as boring as poison.'' Steve murmured.

''It's probably being used to make something.'' Dustin said.

''Or transport something.'' Robin said.

''Like a nuclear weapon.'' Dustin said.

''Exactly.'' Robin agreed.

''Walking towards a nuclear weapon. That's great.'' Steve said sarcastically.

''But if they're building something, why here?'' Robin asked. ''I mean, Hawkins. Of all places!''

Tara suddenly stopped as she realized.

Steve and Dustin walked to her side.

''You think the Russians know?'' Dustin asked.

''About--'' Steve began.

''Maybe.'' Tara whispered.

''So it's connected?'' Steve whispered back.

''How?'' Dustin whispered.

''And why?'' Tara whispered.

''I don't know but it's...'' Steve trailed off.

''Possible.'' Tara, Steve and Dustin whispered in unison.

''I'm sorry, is there something you'd like to share with the class?'' Robin asked them.

The walkie suddenly went off.

They rushed over to the walkie.

''A trip to china sounds nice. If you tread lightly.'' Robin said in Russian.

''It's the code.'' Robin added in English.

''Wherever that broadcast is coming from--'' Dustin began.

''It's close.'' Robin said. ''And if there's one thing that we know about that signal...''

''It can reach the surface.'' Dustin said.

''Let's go.'' Robin said with a grin.

They made it out of the tunnel and out into the open, surrounded by Russians.

Nobody noticed them.

They silently snuck into a room.

Their eyes enlarged as they realized they weren't alone.

A russian stared at them in bewilderment.

Tara tilted her head to the side, and the man's neck snapped.

He fell lifeless to the floor.

She could her her own heart pounding as blood dripped from her nose.

''Holy shit! What happened? How did--'' Robin stumbled over her words in shock.

''Tara has superpowers.'' Dustin said casually.

Tara nodded to confirm.

''She doesn't look well.'' Erica said. She probably could've said that in a better way.

''Whenever she uses her powers, she gets drained.'' Dustin explained as he slung his arm around her to help balance her.

''You didn't have to kill him!'' Steve exclaimed.

While they weren't looking, Robin walked up the steps and glanced through a window.

She saw a bright blue light.

''Guys!'' She called. ''There's something up here.''

They followed after her and looked through the window.

''Holy shit.'' Dustin cursed.

''Oh no.'' Tara whispered as she recognized the sight in front of her.

The Gate.