Tamerlane and Other Poems

Cardiff, Wales
1955

"Ah, isn't Cardiff excellent this time of year?" asked Aziraphale with sparkle in his eyes.

Crowley was still in disbelief that Aziraphale had convinced him to drive to Cardiff during the Christmas holidays.

They were standing on Queen Street, the busiest street at the busiest time of the year. The snow hadn't melted off from the pavements and they were surrounded by people. Many people.

Crowley was contemplating an unholy urge to cause a catastrophe and empty the roads.

He looked up and smirked at the grey sky.

Aziraphale immediately took notice.

"Oh dear..." he said with a tone of disappointment.

"What?" said Crowley.

"I am aware you do not particularly enjoy crowded areas, Crowley. But could please consider NOT causing a lighting storm and ruining such a joyous day as Christmas?" said

"I do not know what you are referring to..." said Crowley without looking Aziraphale in the eyes.

"Alright, if you say so. Follow me then," said Aziraphale after briefly putting his hand on Crowley's shoulder.

Crowley felt a static surge overcoming his body. Perhaps it was residuals of trying to channel lighting for the storm. Or perhaps not.

Aziraphale graciously moved through the crowd, successfully maneuvered all pedestrians, and apologized if he brushed with any of them.

However, Crowley did not bother with such pleasantries. He kept his pace and waited for others to move from his path. And if they didn't, they forcibly fell on the ground or got physically hurt.

'We're here!" declared Aziraphale with excitement.

They found themselves outside of an old bookshop. The wooden frames around the windows were visibly rotten. The stone structure of the wall was discolored to a rusty red. The windows were mostly covered with a thick layer of dust and appeared to be quite fragile.

Furthermore, the establishment appeared to be unlit and Crowley noticed the handwritten note taped on the door "We Are Closed"

"Closed? Did I just drive you to the other side of the country to get one of your precious books and you didn't check if IT WAS OPEN? SERIOUSLY AZIRAPHALE, why would you waste my time like this?" said Crowley.

Crowley regretted his tone. If he was completely honest, he did not find any pleasure in letting his demonic traits take over when speaking with Aziraphale. Yet, he was not about to apologize.

"Well now, there is no need for hostilities. I have an appointment. Besides, I thought you would enjoy an empty store while I was handling business," said Aziraphale with a calming voice.

Crowley tried to remain expressionless at the realization that Aziraphale purposely made an appointment on Christmas due to his intolerance of crowded places.

"Well, do we knock or what?" he asked hastily to change the topic.

"Well, I guess we do," said Aziraphale with hesitation.

He was not certain how to knock without breaking the entire door.

"Why exactly are overthinking this? JUST. KNOCK!" said Crowley.

"What if I break the door? That would make a dreadful first impression" he said and Crowley could not help but roll his eyes.

"I should have waited in the Bentley," said Crowley.