Chapter Eighteen

After diner Calem brought Evelyn back to the hotel to collect her things. He hefted her bag into the back of the truck and opened the door, giving her a hand up, in order to help her get in.

"I see you haven't lost your good ol' country boy manners."

Calem tipped his baseball cap. "No, ma'am." He shut her door and ran around to the other side of the truck. When he climbed into the driver's side he turned to see Evelyn's indignant look.

"Ma'am!" Evelyn shuddered and Calem chuckled.

"Spoken like a true city girl."

Evelyn wrinkled up her nose ever so adorably. "It makes me feel so old."

"Alright. What should I call you? Young miss?"

Evelyn knew she should be mad that he was teasing her but she did love how his eyes crinkled at the corners when he grinned.

"Evie is fine."

"Evie? Okay." Calem shrugged and got them back on the road to home.

Calem's lack of response made her wonder. "What? Don't you like my name?"

Calem kept his eyes on the road. "I like Evelyn. It sounds more..."

Evelyn shifted in her seat, her curiosity bursting at what Calem might say.

"Romantic."

"Ha! Romantic? I think it makes me sound as old as ma'am."

Calem turned to her in surprise. "Seriously? Well, I guess I can see your point. It may be my own preference then. I like old fashioned things. Your name seems like it belongs on the pages of some historical romance."

"It that so? And would you be the dashing young Lord who's going to save me from all my woes?" Evelyn's come-hither look, made Calem squirm in his seat.

"I see myself more like the farm boy whose love is unrequited. Doomed to only admire her from afar."

Evelyn's hand pressed against her heart. Excitement filled her eyes. "Oh, a forbidden romance then?"

"So, it would seem as when I get you home you will be venturing into the household and this good ol' farm boy will be moseying himself to the farm hands quarters to sleep, perchance to dream of his darling young miss."

Evelyn giggled and the sound was musical.

Calem kept up a steady conversation all the way back to the farm. They talked about everything and anything. Evelyn found Calem so easy to converse with. Almost as if she were friends with him as long as she was Dina.

"So, let's see we covered food, family, friends... what next?" Calem asked as they pulled through the gates to the farm. It was the first time Evelyn took note of the sign.

"Almosta Farm. Seriously? That's the name of the farm?"

"My mom's sense of humor. It was Decker Family Farm but then my dad left us. Financially things went from bad to worse. We had to downgrade and sell a good portion of the land. Now we have maybe little over 230 acres. So, since we weren't a large or even considered a midsize farm anymore, she changed the name to 'Almosta Farm'."

Evelyn laughed. "Perfect! Simply Perfect!"

"She thought so too. Still, I gather a Dorothy in Kansas with Almosta Farm is a little sad really."

Evelyn hated the forlorn look in Calem's eyes. "Why did you leave?"

A heart felt sigh escaped his lips. "Long story."

Evelyn unclicked her seatbelt and turned to give him her full attention. "I've got all night."

"All night? I'm sure my mother will be out with a pitch fork long before sun up if I don't get you inside soon."