Chapter 16: The Nerves

Start from the beginning

Wilma's hands stop fidgeting with the zipper and I start to worry if the garment is really a hopeless piece of art.

Doubt weaves its webs into my mind again and I fiddled with my fingers.

"Friend?" Wilma's voice breaks the silence.

"Yes," I breathed. The nervousness was slowly wrapping its claws around my throat, making it hard to breathe.

I didn't have to look at Wilma to know that she was frowning with scrunched eyebrows.

"I thought this was a date." She spoke after another brief silence.

I ignored the warmth creeping up my neck.

"I-It is."

The fabric tightens with one quick motion which squeezes a gasp from me. The zipper squealed to a long awaited close and heavy hands spun me around. I was faced with a daring set of eyes.

Wilma adjusts the sleeves of my lavender dress neatly.

I gulped loudly.

"You're nervous," she said smoothly.

"Um- no," I tried to lie but failed miserably. The familiar pink tinged my cheeks and I fought hard to control what I was really feeling.

"And you're blushing." Wilma noted matter-of-factly. "Which means you have feelings for him."

I was stunned.

Am I that easy to read?

"You like Dontae," Wilma smirked mischievously.

My eyes grew to the size of two saucers.

"No! Absolutely not. Why would you think that?" I shrieked hysterically and back away from her as if she was about to attack me.

Wilma scrunched her eyebrows, clearly perplexed.

"But I thought..."

"No. Please don't think whatever you're thinking. We're just friends." I concluded. "And even that still sounds like an unbelievable title since we're not even remotely compatible."

I felt a twinge in my chest as I finished the sentence.

Wilma looked sad but she quickly covered it with a smile. She was trying not to ruin the mood. As per usual.

"Well, pardon me for assuming that the boy you spend most of your free time with isn't your love interest. I apologize for the misunderstanding." She paused and gazed at me with tears in her eyes.

She took a few steps forward. Her hands cradled my face and my heart thumped with happiness. "I'm glad that I am privileged to see you go on your very first date, dear." Green eyes glittered at me and I smiled at my luck.

I lost one mother but gained another one by fate.

Tears threatened to flow uncontrollably but I bit my lip and instead threw my arms around Wilma's neck.

"I love you Wilma," I murmured into her shoulder.

"Love you too pumpkin," she laughed lightly, pulling away. She wiped the tears from under my eyes and mumbled, "there, there my sweet girl. Don't ruin your pretty face with tears and look in the mirror."

Before I could interject, she manhandled me into turning around.

I squeezed my eyes shut then reopened them.

I did it once again.

And this wasn't a dream. It was real.

The girl that stared at me had gorgeous hazel eyes. A mass of beautiful, curly, ebony hair framed her round face and cascaded down her shoulders and back gracefully.