Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, Rem," Kirito assured between bites, but as he spoke, a piece of food suddenly got stuck in his throat, causing him to cough unexpectedly.

Concerned, Rem rushed to his side and handed him a glass of juice. "Here, Kirito-kun, take a sip. It should help," she said, worry etching her features.

Kirito quickly drank the juice and thanked Rem with a grateful smile. "Thanks, Rem. You always know how to take care of me."

Rem chuckled, "You can be quite the child sometimes, Kirito, but I don't mind that about you."

Kirito, with a playful grin, headed towards the window, saying, "I'm off now, Rem. See you later."

As he jumped out of the window, leaving Rem surprised, she mused to herself, "He barely uses the door these days," with a chuckle, acknowledging Kirito's unconventional exits.

Sometimes later...
Kirito dashed through the bustling city, his pace reflecting the urgency of a student perpetually on the brink of tardiness. The looming threat of expulsion hung over him due to his consistent tardiness, a consequence of the myriad responsibilities that occupied his time.

As he manoeuvred through the crowded streets, a sense of unease gnawed at him. Suddenly, a wave of ominous energy flooded his senses, prompting him to skid to a stop. His eyes narrowed as he focused on a secluded alley, the source of the unsettling bloodlust.

Kirito grimaced, sensing an ominous presence in the alley. "Something or someone dangerous is lurking here," he muttered, cautioning himself.

Undeterred, he cautiously entered the alley, his senses on high alert. However, to his surprise, there was no one in sight, and an eerie silence enveloped the surroundings.

Suddenly, Kirito halted and declared, "Show up! I know you're here." His sharp gaze scanned the shadows, waiting for a response.

A mocking laugh echoed through the alley. Abruptly, figures in black hoods materialized, surrounding him with a sinister aura. The air thickened with tension as Kirito prepared for the impending confrontation.

Kirito, facing the hooded figures, smirks confidently, "Ganging up against a mere student is a bold move. Care to enlighten me on the reason behind this?"

The group, in unison, reveals, "We are Shadow Garden, and we bring down judgment upon Kirito Kuroha."

Kirito, getting into a defensive stance, retorts, "Shadow Garden? Doubtful they'd send 20 troops just for me."

With a smirk, he adds, "This move looks more like the Cult of Diablos. You're not fooling anyone."

Kirito locked eyes with one of the hooded figures, a confident smirk playing on his lips. "Am I right?" he questioned, his gaze piercing through the anonymity of the shadows.

The hooded figure hesitated for a moment before panic took over. "Kill that bastard right now!" the person shouted, revealing a glimpse of the turmoil within the group.

The hooded figure, realizing Kirito had unravelled their plan, swiftly turned and fled. In his haste, he muttered to himself, "How did he see through our guise? He is sharper than I thought."

As the figure sprinted through the narrow alley, a sudden, precise throw sent a sword whirling through the air. It struck the fleeing person's leg, causing him to collapse with a pained scream.

Shock etched across his face, the hooded figure watched as Kirito calmly walked towards him. Paralyzed with fear, he couldn't comprehend how Kirito had defeated their skilled assassins in an instant.

As Kirito approached, the fallen figure stammered, "H-How... how did you defeat them so effortlessly?"

Kirito casually pointed back at the defeated hooded figures with his thumb, smirking. "Those weren't assassins. Real assassins don't confront their target head-on."