𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐲𝐦𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐏𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐲

Start from the beginning

It was ambition, desire, a dream showing itself through his words.

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is, what the Black Pearl really is, is freedom", Jack continued, his arm pointing to the horizon and the endless expanse of the sea.

A ship, freedom?

A memory flashed your mind. It was about Chris.

"The Calgarian isn't just a ship, she's freedom. She can take me everywhere I want to go at every time. Freedom is a voyage, a journey, with the possibility of discovery and exploration. Like a ship sailing the open sea."

That's what Chris had said to you. That's what he had said to you on your way to Tortuga. When he had comforted you in your fear. When he had supported your dreams. When he had helped you out of your misery.

Suddenly, sadness overcame you and you missed him and his broad shoulders, his strong chest and long black hair. You didn't know where this sudden mood change was coming from, but you missed him terribly, his hugs, his love, his care. You missed a trustworthy person, a friend. You longed for someone to talk to, someone you could tell everything, for a person like Chris: your big brother, your best and only friend in this world.

But Chris wasn't here - heck, you couldn't even imagine where he was right now in this big, gigantic world - and maybe you would never see him again. Which only made your longing grow faster, harder. You longed for somebody to lean on, somebody to hold you.

Grabbed by these feelings and thoughts that had overrun you in seconds with unusual intensity like a pack of wild dogs, you snuggled up to Jack's side and laid your head on his chest which was only clad in a plain, white shirt.

His body flinched almost imperceptibly at the sudden touch, but he didn't protest, and you carefully nestled into his side.

Jack's torso was warm and comfortable, even his unique smell was the same, only this time the smell of rum was more prominent, masking the other components of his scent. You could hear his heartbeat, calm and steady, feel his chest slowly filling up with air and exhaling again. You blushed at the thought of being so close to himand were impressed by your own courage to touch him.

Then, you felt his fingers slowly move up your back as he placed his arm around you. The warm, bright moonlight shining down on you created a magical atmosphere, and slowly your mind calmed.

You felt like this night was made just for you and Jack.

And you didn't know if it was the pleasant warmth that Jack gave off or the fact that in his arms you suddenly felt way younger and smaller than you actually were, but something flared up inside your mind, a distant memory, a tiny flashback, and you started to softly hum a long-lost melody.

At first it was only a quiet whisper, then, remembering the lines, your voice grew louder into a gentle singing.

"The king and his man stole the queen from her bed. And bound her in her bones."

Jack tensed.

"The seas be ours and by the powers. Where we will, we'll roam."

Your voice faded.

These lines held old, distant memories and thoughts. They were like a glimpse into your past, like a look into a very specific night, in a very specific place. Just one night that, ironically, had led you to this exact situation. Without this fateful night, you would have probably never sailed under Jack's flag or even joined him in the first place.