𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞-𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐰

The smaller man, you had seen together with Jack Sparrow, had turned out to be Joshamee Gibbs, an old Navy-sailor-turned-pirate.

The moment after Jack had left the Faithful Bride and had walked past you so close, you could almost touch him, Gibbs had started to hire a crew.
All night long, he had praised Captain Jack Sparrow, had told his many stories including demonic mermaids, frightening sirens, mighty swords, damned pirates and cursed gold.

And because of your curiosity, you had listened to all of them. All night long you had enjoyed hearing about Jack Sparrow, his braveness, his charm, his fortitude... and you were fascinated by the amount of adventures he had experienced. 

Then Gibbs had mentioned the new journey's quest: Taking back the Black Pearl from her devilishly cursed Pirate Captain Barbossa and his terrible crew.

You couldn't lie, this ship, the Black Pearl, you had only heard stories of, had caught your interest and your curiosity had started to grow even more. You had always loved sailing on the Calgarian. It had made you feel free. And you couldn't help yourself but to imagine sailing with Jack Sparrow on the Black Pearl, you couldn't help yourself but to imagine your own freedom. After all this time, you had met this man again, this fascinating pirate, you felt weirdly attracted to, who made you so curious about how your life as a sailor could be. 

You weren't a pirate; you didn't want to be one. You just wanted to sail the sea.

And this opportunity to sail and experience adventure and freedom was just too good to be true. 

As the night had went on and Gibbs had started to hire more and more men, you had felt like your ideal opportunity was slipping away from you like a wet fish between your hands. I need to do something or I will never see Jack or the Black Pearl, you had thought. 

You knew that Chris would have hated what you were about to do, but eventually your curiosity won. 

And so, you had found yourself a few minutes later with a hat, you had stolen from a drunkard next to you, pulled down over your face, ready to be part of Jack Sparrow's crew.

The next morning, a sunny day, you headed for the rotten port of Tortuga.

You held the sack with all your belongings, including clothes, dresses and money, in your hand.
The big hat from last night covered your face and your hair that you had tied back in a bun. By daybreak you had decided to wear pants and a shirt and a long black coat with capped sleeves in addition to the hat.

You had found all of these clothes in the room you had stayed in since the day you'd arrived in Tortuga.  According to the tavern's owner, they were the belongings of a pirate.
But that didn't matter to you, as long as they offered you a good alternative to your dresses.

You didn't want to make it too obvious that you were, in fact, a woman.

As you walked down the docks, you could already see a big and very fancy ship rocking in Tortuga's bay. The H.M.S. Interceptor, stolen from the Royal Navy itself. She reminded you of the ships out of Nassau's fleet that looked just as glorious.

On the docks in front of her the newly hired crew was by now lining up: there was one short sailor, another one thin and starved-looking, one very old man with a colorful parrot on his shoulder, and many more.

Overall, a disheveled and weather-beaten mix of men not looking too promising.

You joined the end of the line, stood between two men and awaited your new captain with excitement. No one had looked through your disguise yet.