𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒 - 𝐖𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐤

Like wild animals playing with their food, like an incredibly large shark having fun chasing its prey, like a sadistic commodore leading captured pirates to the gallows; That's how you felt as Barbossa's crew tossed you back and forth between them and pushed you harshly towards the plank. 

Only you weren't the hunter but clearly the prey in this scenario. You weren't the shark; you were the fish. A tiny little fish. A tiny little fish that was about to find its way into the depths of the sea.

If you had been a fish, you surely would have been fine with that. But you weren't a fish. And you didn't particularly feel like swimming either, let alone jumping off a plank into the sea. The memories of the storm where you had fallen overboard and almost disappeared into the ocean were simply too fresh for that, the moment of shock was still too present in your consciousness.

And as you were pushed through the crowd, you couldn't help but wonder what would await you at the end of your jump. A pack of sharks? Sirens? A kraken? Or the Biblical Leviathan?

It made no difference that you were aware of the unreality of these worries and ideas: The Black Pearl was close to the small island that was about to become your new home, and the water that surrounded the vessel was fairly shallow compared to the rest of the ocean. The only thing that awaited you down there were fish, turtles, and a Caribbean reef shark at worst. 

And yet, a small part of you expected you to end up in a throng of sea snakes, Skylla, and Charybdis the moment your feet would leave the plank.

"Oh, don't be scared, young lassie. Your cousin will join you in a minute", insisted Barbossa's malicious, almost demonic, voice behind you.

You reached the plank, trembling, and turned around. 

Between the diabolically grinning faces of uninhibited pirates, you searched desperately for a familiar face. Jack, or maybe Will. You didn't want the last face you would maybe ever see to be a ruthless pirate like Barbossa. 

Although you were pretty sure he was grinning disgustingly right now too.

"(y/n)! (y/n)!", you heard Will scream and in the crowd of men your eyes met.

They were still holding him, tied up. 

Oh, what a terrible fate awaited him! 

Maybe this was the last time you would see your newly won friend? Maybe he would be dead in a few hours.

"Please, (y/n), please, you have to promise me, you have to promise me, you will look out for her!"

It was clear who she was. Elizabeth.

"I don't trust him, (y/n). But I trust you!"

And it was clear who him was. Jack.

It was no surprise that he didn't trust him.

But he trusted you. And he had saved your life once, gave his life for yours another time. You owed him. It was out of question that you would take good care of her.

You nodded.

"I will. I promise!", you tried to sooth him.

But he couldn't answer anymore: his mouth was already gagged with a piece of cloth.

You let your gaze wander over the impatiently waiting crew one last time, hoping to catch a glimpse of Jack and his beautiful lips. But when you caught sight of his dark mop of hair and red bandana, his head was bowed. 

Disappointed, you turned around.

"It's time, lassie! The kraken's tentacles are already awaiting you", Barbossa's voice boomed behind you and transformed into a malicious laughter that the whole crew joined in.