𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

It was a clear yet unusually cold night. Not a single cloud blocked the view to the many stars illuminating the night sky of the Caribbean. It was a full moon and it's light shone down onto the fortress of a little town, called Nassau, and the prison block located there, right into the cells you were about to approach.

You wore an adorable little nightgown that your maid had picked out some hours ago, with white embroidery and decorations. And if it weren't for the ocean blue coat, you would be freezing in the long but thin dress.

You walked through the corridor of the prison, not encountering a single soldier or guard, and searched for a certain cell.

Most of the time there weren't any inmates in the fortress of Nassau, and therefore no need in soldiers guarding them.

Your town had never faced many disobeying citizens, thievery or even murder. Most of the inhabitants did their civic duties and were trustworthy. Of course, there were still some who stood out and committed minor crimes, but not on a daily base. Nassau was a rather peaceful town.

But some time ago, a hand full of pirates showed up and tried to rob a goldsmith. They failed tragically, and before they could leave the bay, the Royal Navy had already caught them. They were sentenced to death for piracy and crimes committed against the crown. And on the next morning, a sunny day, they walked up the gallows and were hanged.

Your father had thought that it was time for you to understand what the consequences of piracy were. And so, there weren't only adults present that sunny morning, but also you, a ten year old girl, watching the death of five young men, who looked nothing like pirates to you.

The night after the incident, you couldn't sleep. Every time you closed your eyes, you saw their helpless faces and heard their necks break. You never wanted to see something horrible like this again.

So, when weeks later your father sent you out of his office because he had something very important to discuss with Commodore Williams, you didn't go to the library as you were told, but, curious as you were, pressed your ear against the door, and listened to every word the two men said.

They talked about a young man, a pirate, who was caught trying to hire a crew and stealing rum. According to Commodore Williams, the young pirate's name was Jack Sparrow, and he would face the gallows tomorrow morning.

The moment you heard the gallows, you started to panic. You remembered the traumatizing incident all those weeks ago and almost threw up your breakfast. You couldn't face another hanging, not again. It made you sick just thinking about it. That was nothing a young girl, a child, should see. 

And so, in childish manner, you had decided to free this Jack Sparrow tonight, and spare yourself the view of another dead man dangling on a strick. 

After walking past many empty cells you were about to give up. It got colder and darker with every second, and you missed the warmth of your bed, you had sneaked out of earlier.

But suddenly you heard a deep and male voice out of the very last cell down the corridor at first only humming, then singing a song you had never heard before.

"The king and his man stole the queen from her bed."

You stopped startled.

"And bound her in her bones."

You listened while holding your breath. His voice and the melody enchanted you.

"The seas be ours and by the powers."

You continued walking, carefully, not wanting to make a sound. 

"Where we will, we'll roam."

You stood in front of the cell bars and looked inside the cell.

A man sat on the floor under the moonlight and leaned against the wall behind him. He looked young, maybe he was in his early twenties and when he lifted his head you could see that he was actually quite handsome. He had long dark hair and beautiful brown eyes that almost seemed black due to the faint light.

You didn't know what you'd expected, but definitely not him. He looked too innocent to be a pirate and too young to die.

"Have you lost something, young missy?", he asked you, looking directly into your eyes.

You had always been a curious and brave child seeking for adventure and freedom, but when you locked eyes with the pirate in front of you, all your faith and braveness left you at once.

"Are you- Are you Jack? Jack Sparrow?", you asked scared. 

Your voice was trembling. 

"Captain Jack Sparrow, the one and only. Pleasure to meet ye", the pirate declared with a smirk and bowed mockingly.

"You will be hanged tomorrow morning", you said with caution, avoiding images of the gallows in your head.

"A shame, isn't it, lassie?", the man sighed.

You took a deep breath and stepped towards the bars gathering all your courage. 

"I wanna free you, Mr. Sparrow."

The pirate looked up confused but curious.

"I want to get you out of here, so that you won't be hanged tomorrow", you declared again with a serious expression. 

Now he looked at you with interest, stood up and got closer to the bars. You, on the other hand, took a step back. It scared you that he was close enough to grab you. After all, he had wanted to steal rum and hire a crew of pirates.

"And why is that, lassie? Don't you know that I'm a pirate?" 

"I do, but I don't want to see another hanging. So, I will get you out of here, but with two conditions!", you said while he looked at you expectingly. 

"Well, please go on, young missy", he said with a movement of his hand and a mocking grin on his face.

"You will leave Nassau and never come back. And you won't kill me. Do we have an accord?"

You hesitated but held out your tiny hand for him to shake. The pirate looked at you skeptical but eventually took your little hand through the bars and shook it.

"Agreed", he said with a smile. 

A smile that seemed honest to you this time.  

You reached into your coat's pockets and pulled out a bunch of keys that you had found at the entrance of the prison block, searched for the right one and opened the door with shaking hands. 

After you had opened the door, you stumbled backwards and pressed yourself against the wall behind you, as far away from the man as possible and held your breath.

"Don't be scared, young missy, I must never hurt a child. Let alone a child that just saved my godamn life. Farewell!", he tipped his head, winked and started to disappear into the darkness of the corridor.

You let out a long deep breath. 

Then the disappearing figure of Captain Jack Sparrow started to sing again until he was swallowed up completely by the dark shadows.

"Yo-ho, all together,
hoist the colors high,
heave ho,
thieves and beggars,
never shall we die!"

After that night not a single inmate was left unattended in the fortress of Nassau.