𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐲

With wide eyes you stared into the faces of a dozen frightening looking pirates.

They were of different shapes and sizes and yet all of them equally unkempt. Their hair was greasy and matted, their clothes shabby and dirty from weeks, probably months spend on the sea.

All in all, they looked disheveled and weather-beaten, but also dangerous and frightening.

You felt a fear rising within you, you had never felt before, not even the night of the storm. Your throat felt like it was being cut off, you were breathing faster, and your heart was beating like crazy. Your whole body was shaking and trembling, and you were struggling to keep the still swaying, half-conscious Jack on his feet.

"What is a fine, young lady like you doing on the Isla de Muerta at such time of the day, I wonder?", asked the pirate, who had called you poppet, and the men behind him laughed.

Like the rest, he was unwashed and dirty, his teeth flashed yellow when he spoke, and the sad strands of hair that fell down from the sides of his bald head were dripping with grease.

"Well, I'm certainly not enjoying the company", you blurted out nervously and cursed yourself in the same moment.

Being rude was definitely not your best shot in this situation.

And the pirates in front of you saw it the same way: no one was laughing anymore. Instead, you looked into insulted and angry faces.

To make matters worse, Jack next to you now regained full consciousness and slowly straightened himself. He leaned all his weight on you and rocked back and forth a bit, then lifted his head and looked straight into the crowd of pirates.

"You", one of them exclaimed in confusion.

"You're supposed to be dead!", the one with the greasy hair added.

"Am I not?", Jack answered and looked down on himself.

Then, he suddenly let go off you and turned around, still swaying. You followed suit and turned around as well. And gasped loudly when you stared down the barrel of a loaded pistole.

You hadn't even noticed the pirates that had appeared behind you stopping you from escaping.

Jack grimaced and turned back to the pirates, only to see more loaded pistols and drawn swords pointing at the two of you. Chills ran down your spine.

Here and now, I am going to die at the hands of some criminals, you thought.

"Don't worry, love, I'll handle this", Jack slurred.

"Pearlie."

You looked at him puzzled and uncomprehending. What was he trying to say? And how was this going to save you?

Jack didn't seem to know it himself. Dissatisfied, he made a fist with one hand and started again.

"Per-lay-lee-loo-loo."

Now the pirates looked at each other in confusion as well.

"Par-lay-lee. Parsnip. Parsley. Par... Partner. Pardoner."

Baffled, you looked at him and tried to figure out what he wanted to say.

"Parley?", one of the pirates suddenly said, hopeful to have finally understood something from Jack's confused stammering.

"That's the one! Parley!", Jack screamed relieved.

"Parley!"

"Parley?", muttered the pirate with the greasy hair and looked angrily at his crewmate. Then he pointed his gun back into Jack's direction.