Chapter 39: Jimin

Start from the beginning

"Can I be in charge of music?" Taehyung asked the group, his phone ready.

Jin and Namjoon exchanged a look. Since nobody else piped up, they conceded.

Taehyung played a variety of songs, filling the silence. In the back of Jimin's mind, he conjured up scenarios of how today could go wrong. He couldn't stop picturing her mom yelling at them—telling them their daughter didn't need them. While Jimin knew Madeline's relationship with her mom wasn't great, they were still related. Madeline still respected and loved her mom.

He had been told that his thoughts often spiraled. Once he latched onto an idea, it stuck with him. It even plagued him. For as long as he could remember, he had been like that. His friends have tried to work through it with him but he often found it difficult to fully accept that it was just his mind playing a cruel trick on him.

Madeline's father's house came into view ten minutes later. Jimin's mind flashed back to when he visited with Taehyung and Jungkook. They had spent time with Madeline's brothers. Jimin hoped that her younger brothers didn't dislike them.

Jin parked on the drive and ordered everyone out of the car. Jimin stood close to Hobi, seeking his confidence.

Namjoon combed a hand through his hair and stared at all of them. Jimin would have found this situation amusing in any other circumstance—they were all lined up like soldiers, waiting for orders—but knowing what they were marching towards had any amusement disappearing.

"Remember, we are just here for a meal. We've already met most of her family. If anybody is struggling, tell someone." Namjoon recited the same speech he gave earlier to them.

They all nodded their heads just as the door to the house was flung open. Madeline rushed out and approached them with a twinkle in her eyes. Over the past few days, Madeline had started opening up more and more to them. She no longer hid her emotions.

"Hi," She greeted, shyly. She swept her hair to one side and wore a cute dress. Jimin was taken aback by her alluring attire. Once again, he wondered how his soul mate could be so pretty.

"Hello," They all greeted back, each of them itching to touch her. Surprisingly, Madeline made the first move and hugged all of them.

When she came to him, he fluttered his eyes closed and savored the moment. Was it possible to miss something you had never experienced before? They had hugged a few times but this feeling arose the first time they embraced. His soul had missed this feeling.

"Can you hold my hand?" Jimin whispered into her ear, desperate to have her holding him when he met her mom.

"Of course," She murmured back in an equally soft tone. He nearly melted when her magnetic orbs landed on him.

After hugging Jungkook and Hobi—who both clung to her—she returned to his side and clutched his hand tightly. He finally felt like he could breathe.

She led them to her house and through the entrance. Even though Jimin had been here before, he still marveled at the many photos hung on the walls. There was one picture in particular that made his heart soar. It featured Madeline, her dad, stepmom, and brothers. Behind them was the sea. They all wore bright, happy smiles. Madeline didn't look troubled or worried.

He hadn't realized her eyes were on him until he dragged his eyes away from the photo.

"That's my favorite photo," She revealed to him quietly.

"You look happy," He mused.

"I was," She smiled back at him.

Madeline tugged him away from the wall, giving the rest of his friends the chance to gaze at the photo.