Part 13

There is no official course of treatment for maladaptive daydreaming. Fluvoxamine, a drug commonly prescribed to treat OCD, was found effective in a case study
of one patient. Typically, treatment focuses on reducing the likelihood of experiencing a maladaptive daydream through better sleep and symptom management.

Improve the Quality of Your Sleep

Adopting better sleep habits can improve your sleep quality and potentially have an impact on maladaptive daydreaming.

Set and follow a regular sleep schedule every day of the week, even weekends

Provide yourself with enough time to enjoy at least seven hours of sleep
Establish a calming bedtime routine to help you relax into sleep
Exercise daily and eat well
Reduce Fatigue During the Day

Expose yourself to natural sunlight throughout the day, especially in the morning. Consider consuming caffeine for an extra boost, but avoid having more than 400 milligrams per day and schedule your last cup of coffee at least 6 hours before bed
.

Understand Your Symptoms

Use a small notepad or the notes app on your phone to record what you were doing before you had a maladaptive daydream. Once you know what your triggers are, you can take steps to avoid them or understand why they're triggering you.

Get Support

Explain your symptoms to people you trust, like family members and friends. This will help prevent your daydreams from straining the relationship while also enabling these people to help you by interrupting you when they notice symptoms occurring.

Consider Therapy

A therapist can help you process any underlying trauma and perhaps identify what's triggering your maladaptive daydreaming. They can also recommend specific strategies for managing your symptoms. For example, grounding techniques can be helpful. Some therapists may also recommend changing your daydream's plot endings from good to bad to make the daydream less rewarding.

If you feel addicted to daydreaming, or like your daydreams interfere with your daily life, talk to your doctor. They can provide recommendations for controlling your tendency to daydream and provide tips for better focus and better sleep.