Chapter 2

Andrew's POV

Andrew looked at the girl. Her attitude was something else. He couldn't remember any girl treating him like that, except his sisters.

He followed her down the street, noticing her bow on her back. Was she a hunter? A year ago, a woman carrying a bow would be considered strange to him, back after spending the last year with his brother and sister-in-law, it didn't phase him cause his sister-in-law was a hunter to. But she definitely wasn't hunting. Not with The Beast running loose.

She walked with confidence. Most people who walked like that were high-class. This girl looked like she wore the clothing of a poor man's daughter.

Andrew had been to Pinecrest when he was younger, so some landmarks looked familiar. The town reminded him of Dawnride, which caused a pang to shoot through his stomach.

He wasn't that far away from Dawnride. It was only a two day ride. After he killed The Beast, he'd return back home and face his father's disappointment. He knew he had to face his father's disappointment sooner or later, and he knew he deserved it.

His thoughts were interrupted when he saw the strangest sight ever, a group of snakes slithering down the street.

A woman was walking in front of them with a large basket of clothes that were blocking her view.

"Watch out!" the woman with the bow said, rushing to the woman, but it was too late. The snakes surrounded the woman's feet. She tripped over them and fell into the pile of snakes and screamed.

Andrew got off his horse and ran towards her. The woman with the bow already reached her and started kicking the snakes away. She reached the woman and yanked her to her feet. Andrew kicked at the snakes that were still swarming around them.

Finally, the snakes moved on down the street.

"Thank you, Anne. And you." She turned to Andrew. "Thank you."

So the girl's name was Anne.

"You're welcome, ma'am," Andrew said.

"Mrs. Wallen, this is Andrew of Dawnridge."

"Thank you, Mr. Andrew." Mrs. Wallen smiled at him.

It was weird to hear someone call him 'Mr.' instead of 'Lord Andrew,' but he didn't correct her.

"We have to get going back to my house," Anne said.

Her house? Was she a servant there? Andrew would have to speak to the mayor about one of his servant girls going hunting.

"Please tell Mayor Martin to find someone to get rid of these snakes. They're getting out of hand."

"I will."

"Bye Anne. And thank you again, Mr. Andrew of Dawnridge."

"You are very welcome."

They started walking again and eventually, a big house came into view. A young man was coming around the side.

"Please take this man's horse to the stables." Anne told the man.

"Of course." The man took the horse's reign and led him away.

Andrew followed Anne to the front door. She opened the door and walked in with her head lifted high, unlike any servant girl he had ever seen.

A woman came down the stairs.

"Mother, this man wants to speak to your husband," Anne said.

So Anne was the mayor's stepdaughter. Was she also the daughter that the mayor was giving as the part of the reward?