Prince Creek Formation, Alaska, 72 MYA

At the edge of the Arctic Circle lies a boreal woodland packed with deciduous conifer trees. The ground around them is comprised of various ferns and grass-like plants buried in snow that slowly rises as flakes fall. The dark green of the plants and the white of the snow are hidden in the dark blue tint of the night. Constant Alaskan winds create temperatures as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit. A few scarce parts of this area have fewer trees and more ferns, drowned in snow. In one of the clearings is a traveling herd of this area's least expected residents, dinosaurs.

There are two different herds, each consisting of a single species. The largest of the two are Pachyrhinosaurus, members of the ceratopsid family that grow to 16 feet long and weigh as much as a white rhino. Their skin, consisting of large dry scales, is a very dark blend of black and brown with white stripes on their back and beige on their underbelly. Much like its other family members such as Triceratops, they sport a frill on the back of their head. The frill of Pachyrhinosaurus, however, differs in that it's narrower and slightly taller with two small horns adorning the very top of it that are curved away from each other. The sides of these frills are also adorned with a series of gray bumps. These creatures also differ in their facial horns in that they lack brow horns and have a large, bony mass on their nose called a "boss." The few males of the herd sport larger bosses and red coloring on their frills as opposed to the smaller bosses and white stripes on the frills of the over 20 females. Snug in the middle of the travelling herd are 6 calves only a quarter of their adult size. While their eyes are larger, their frills are shorter, and their bosses are much smaller. Unlike their adult counterparts who make deep snorts, huffs, grumbles, and moo-like groans as sounds, they instead make higher-pitched snorts, strain groans, and brief honks.

These larger beasts are followed by a group of much smaller dinosaurs. They are Alaskacephale, members of the pachycephalosaur family. Like their other family members, they are two-legged herbivores with much smaller arms and domes on their skulls up to 3 inches thick. Their dry scaly skin is a light greenish blue fading into a white underbelly. Males sport red and yellow coloring on the skin covering their dome heads while those on the females are all gray. They grow up 5 feet long and only half as tall as the average human. Their sounds are primarily higher-pitched snorts, huffs, grunts, and trills. This herd is led by an alpha male who is distinguished by his brighter dome colors and more weathered skin. The alpha is also closely accompanied by the eldest female, his mate, who occasionally nudges the side of his head.

Soon, a change in the strength of the wind causes more snow to fall onto the ground at a greater velocity. The Pachyrhinosaurus and Alaskacephale herds shiver and shake from the freezing winds rushing onto their skin. In response, each herd huddles up to their respective kind, to preserve each other's body heat. The Alaskacephales also lower their heads to avoid being blinded by the onslaught of snow.

    The alpha, however, soon stops at the sound of a brief honk. He looks up and opens his eyes to find a curious sight, a Pachyrhinosaur calf. The appearance of this young male is much like the other calves, except that he is only 3 and a half feet long. He does not do anything but stand in front of the alpha, making a soft panting noise while wagging his tail. Perplexed, the elder Alaskacephale can only tilt his head slightly and stare at the odd, little youngster. The calf abruptly turns his head as he hears the deep, moo-like bellow of his mother. He lets out a honk before scampering back to his herd, leaving the alpha Alaskacephale to march forward with the rest of his kind.

    As this occurs, the wind picks up even more and accelerates the rate of snowfall to a greater degree. In a rare event in the area at this time, a blizzard is occurring. Snow is now falling at such an occurrence and at such a fast rate that the sight in front of both herds is practically blinded. Every tree, plant, and even the sky is hidden in a mass of white, tinted in the dark blue of the night. Even the sounds of both Alaskacephale and Pachyrhinosaurus alike are muffled by the howling storm wind.