Raccoon Twelve

Magsimula sa umpisa

His little otter was waving its paws and tapping them against Baron's chest as it squeaked and chattered, seemingly lecturing him on something very important. 

Of course, Baron didn't seem able to see or hear him, but he did appear to be able to understand the otter's intentions by its tapping, making the situation somehow work enough to hold Rexy's limited attention span... and make Baron laugh. 

I like that sound. 

Granted, it would definitely sound different if they weren't within their own minds, as it was a little bit haunting and not quite in his tone of voice since most of his mouth was currently missing, but it still sounded perfect to his ears. 

As he switched to scratching Prince's fuzzy belly, King took more and more glances at Baron and Rexy. It got to the point where he was looking at them more than Prince, and that ended up earning him a bop to his nose as a reminder that there was someone else wanting and deserving of his attention still in his lap!

Ah, sorry. Sorry, he told Prince as he hugged the little guy tightly, earning a squeak, then a grumble. Those sounds weren't all that loud, but when a near-silent inhale followed them, King quickly looked up to see that Baron was now looking in their direction. 

Keeping his thoughts to himself, he quickly patted Prince's fuzzy back, trying to keep him calm so that they didn't startle his daddy. 

Thankfully, Baron returned his attention to Rexy after a few moments and the two calmly interacted until the darkness around them slowly increased to an obsidian nothingness. 

My legs...

At first, he thought King had tied him up to keep him from leaving, but as Baron took stock of his body, he realized that he really wasn't restrained in any such way. 

He doesn't even have his arm around me or a hand on my clothing...

He moved his legs a tiny bit and quickly realized what had actually happened. 

They're just tangled up together. 

He was about to begin carefully untangling them when he noticed a faint pressure within his mind... then another close by. 

Sweetheart, why didn't you go back to your dad? 

He could sense the little otter wandering around in his mind, as if checking out a new territory. And, of course, his raccoon was eagerly following after it, surprisingly excited to have another animal in its territory. 

Overly excited, I feel. 

The poor otter was constantly having to send a threatening hiss or frustrated swap toward his overly-eager raccoon. 

Behave... Prince. Don't bother our guest too much before I can get him back to King. 

His raccoon hesitantly backed off, but there was no helping its curiosity as it followed behind the little otter at a more reasonable distance. 

Good boy. 

Returning his attention to his little predicament, Baron finally opened his eyes. 

He was a bit startled, at first, since King's face was right in front of his own, but when he realized that the man was sleeping peacefully, he was able to calm himself down and assess the situation. 

We fell asleep watching the documentary last night. 

He... wasn't sure how to feel about that.