Raccoon Nine

"I... think this might actually be edible," King mumbled at he stuck his fork into the concoction that he'd made. 

Lifting it closer, he blew on it gently, then finally slid the warm pasta and shrimp between his lips.  

Oh. 

"Holy crap, I'm a chef!"

Overjoyed at his incredible accomplishment of hot edible food, King quickly scooped a big portion of it into a bowl, then hurried toward the hallway. 

"Hey P, lunch is ready and it's freaking awesome!" he yelled, intending to wake him up. 

Right as he got to the entrance to the hallway, however, he slid to a halt, skidding on the carpet a bit as an overwhelming wave of dread radiated through his mind. 

Holy shit!

Suddenly shaking, he quickly backed up until he was over by the couch, holding his chest with one hand as he took in deep, calming breaths. 

He didn't dare analyze anything until the unfamiliar sensation had subsided and he was able to straighten up again. He had a light sheen of sweat on his brow now and was more than a bit nervous. His mind quickly connected the dots once he was comfortable again, though. 

Baron...

Deciding to stay where he was, King thought for a long moment, trying to figure out how to handle such a situation. He knew that suicidal people could be dangerous, and it was clear that Baron was still under an immense amount of stress, if the wave of anxiety he'd just felt had been from him. Which was more than likely. 

Not sure how that happened, though. 

They definitely didn't have a bond, and he hadn't felt anything with anyone besides his mom, ever. 

He's probably just so overwhelmed that the stress bled into my mind. Maybe I startled him when I yelled. 

Now feeling a little guilty, King slowly took a few steps forward. The moment he felt a hint of pressure in his mind he stopped, putting him a couple steps away from the hall. 

"Hey there, my raccoon Prince. Are you up for some lunch? I tried to cook for the first time tonight and it actually tastes really good," he said, keeping his voice much calmer than before. 

Unfortunately, the wave of anxiety immediately grew stronger, but when he didn't move or come closer to his room, it slowly began to ebb away again. 

It's okay, sweetheart. 

Instead of continuing to try and get him to calm down, King decided to take the bowl back to the kitchen and get the dishes going first. As he worked, he felt little bits of pressure every so often, but there was no more strong bouts of anxiety. 

It will be alright. I won't bother you until you're feeling better. 

He understood anxiety. He'd had it quite badly after his father had died. 

Humming, King took care of all the pots, pans, and other assorted items he'd used over the past few days then, when he noticed that Prince still wasn't interested in coming out yet, he got the food put away, then turned his attention to his next task. 

Mom sure did keep every little thing of yours, Rexy. 

Walking over to the boxes, he knelt down, then slowly began unpacking things.

Oh wow, I thought this really was gone, he thought as he lifted up one of his otter's favorite old chew toys. He used to bring it to kindergarten, first grade, and even second to play with during recess.