Raccoon Eight

It had happened again. 

And again. 

And again. 

Every other night for the past week King had been woken up by either excess weight, warmth, or, as was most common, a mixture of the two. 

Tonight just happened to be one of those nights, but he knew better than to move much now. The first time he'd woken up was because Baron had finally resurfaced... and slept on his bad arm. 

He'd only really put those pieces together because two nights later, it had happened again. Thankfully, he hadn't moved as much that time, giving him the chance to actually assess the situation. 

That's when he'd realized what was happening. 

Unfortunately, when he'd tried to very quietly and very slowly open his eyes and look to the side, he'd moved his arm the slightest fraction. The next moment, the weight pressed against him had vanished, returning to Prince's meager six or so pounds. 

Okay, just keep calm and be careful, he told himself this time as he slowly began tilting his head to the right against his pillow. The faint outline of short, messy hair soon entered his vision, though it was hard to determine its color with such minimal light. 

He's really here...

In all honesty, he'd expected himself to be pretty freaked out by a random naked guy sleeping in his bed every night, but he just kind of felt... relieved? 

It was a relief to see that Baron was still in there, though it was clear that he wasn't quite conscious yet. If he moved too much, or made even the tiniest sound, the man would retreat back into his fuzzy counterpart. It was clearly a defense mechanism that his subconscious had created... and it hurt King's heart just thinking about it. 

When he finally finished turning his head, he couldn't help but smile. 

There you are. 

The man was curled up against his side, with his forehead pressing against King's shoulder. 

I can't quite see his face with his bangs covering most of it...

He knew that if he so much as sniffled too loudly, Baron would disappear, though. 

He sleeps so lightly, as if he has to worry about everything and anything trying to hurt him. 

Unable to help himself, King slowly lifted one arm and reached across his chest. Right as his fingertips brushed against the man's soft hair, he noticed Baron's form blur. 

Wait! 

It was too late. 

Right before his eyes, Baron shifted back to Prince, leaving a groggy, confused raccoon in his place. King immediately tugged that fuzzy baby into his arms and hugged him tightly, whispering little reassurances until he was rewarded with Prince's content, quiet purrs. 

"I'm sorry, bud. I didn't meant to scare you," he said quietly as he slowly rubbed his back. 

Thankfully, it didn't take long before the little guy was asleep again, leaving King to his thoughts. 

He was just falling back to sleep when the light weight on his chest suddenly grew again, drawing his blurry eyes open once more. 

He... changed back again? 

His hand had just-barely stopped rubbing Prince's back, and without thinking too much into it, King carefully continued the action at its previously pace. This time, however, it was along smooth, warm skin instead of thick, soft fur.