17 A boat and two thieves

As we pressed onward through the dimly lit corridor, I suddenly felt something weird on my leg, causing me to halt in my tracks.

"Umm," I grimaced. "I felt something furry on my leg.."

And as I just finished my sentence, we both see a rat walk past us. Its tiny whiskers twitched as it scurried away into the shadows.

The sight startled Hongjoong so much that he leaped into my arms. Scooby doo much. His grip tightened around my neck, and I struggled to keep my balance. So much fear in his eyes, it's almost comical.

"Umm, mister Hongjoong" I chuckled, trying to stifle my laughter.

"Yes?.." He glanced down, seeing the compromising position. He quickly got down and put on his serious face again.

"I wasn't that frightened" He said, trying to play it cool. But the way his voice trembled and his eyes darted around told a different story.

"Aren't you suppose to be a scary vampire who terrorizes people?" I remarked, unable to contain my amusement.

"I can take breaks sometimes" A slight flush creeped up his pale cheeks.

I struggled to stifle my laughter, but it burst forth nonetheless. "That was seriously hilarious" I managed to say between fits of giggles.

Hongjoong rolled his eyes playfully, knowing I had a point. "Alright get over it. Let us keep going" He said, leading the way with his usual confident stride.

Finally, we reached the end of the seemingly never-ending tunnel. The exit is a hole in the ceiling? Like a sewer exit? Disgusting, to say the least.

In a state of disbelief, I stared at Hongjoong. Seriously? He simply nodded, gesturing towards the exit. "I could use a little assistance" He muttered.

"What's the magic word?" I retorted, hoping he would show a little more respect. It wouldn't hurt for him to say please every now and then.

"Abra..." He hesitated, clearly frustrated. "...cadabra?" He finally blurted out.

I tilted my head, perplexed by his response. He threw his hands up in the air, his patience wearing thin. "I don't know! Just lift me up!"

"A simple please would have suffice. Abracadabra boy" I remarked, a touch of amusement in my voice.

He extended his arms, mimicking the gesture of a baby wanting to be lifted. I narrowed my eyes. "Shouldn't it be the other way around? Like you lifting me up?" I questioned.

"I'm clearly more slender than you" He argued.

I huffed. "Okay, skinny legend. Go ahead" I tapped my shoulders, signaling for him to sit on them.

Without hesitation, he plopped himself onto my shoulders. "Ouch, you're pulling my hair!" I yelped, struggling to maintain my balance.

"Stop whining, I'm almost done" He said, seemingly unfazed.

I almost lost foot. "You're a vampire! Don't you have any supernatural powers and stuff like that?" I exclaimed, desperate for some assistance.

"Done" With a swift movement, he emerged from the ceiling hole. Extending his hand, he helped me climb out as well.

As I rose to my feet, a gust of salty wind immediately greeted me. It's the beach.

"Your underground tunnel leads to the beach" I whispered, my gaze never wavering from the vast expanse of sand and sea before me.

"Dalhae"

"Yes?"

"We'll need a boat" He stated, motioning towards the endless stretch of ocean before us.