13: The Siege of the North Part One

The Avatar Gang and I had been at the North Pole for a week now, Katara and Aang learning the art of water-bending everyday since we arrived. Sokka was employed by Tonraq to learn how to become a warrior, however he liked to spend most of his time with Princess Yui. I on the other hand spent most of my time with Kavik at his large house, him teaching me how to use traditional water tribe weapons.

We were out in the sparring ring at the back of his house, a training dummy placed on the far side. I had practiced with the throwing stars numerous times, them being lighter than ones I had made in the past. He had a habit of coming up behind me and helping me aim by carefully taking ahold of my wrist. I knew how to throw trowing stars but I enjoyed his gentle touch so I let him help me.

I flicked my wrist and the blade landed perfectly in the centre of the training dummy. "I think you've mastered those. It doesn't take you long to master weaponry, it must run in your veins," he praised.

"My dad was a born weapons master. He mainly focussed on swords, promised me he'd help me make one one day," I sighed.

"He must be proud," Kavik said.

"I wouldn't know. He left me to my grandmother when I was five," I said and his mouth formed an 'o'. "It's okay, I'm mainly self-taught but I supposed it does run in my blood," I added cheerfully and he smiled handsomely.

"Well it seems as though you're good with blades. You've mastered the throwing stars, the machete, the axe... how about we try the club? Have you ever used one?" He asked, picking it off of the wooden stand that housed all of his weapons.

"I haven't actually," I said and he smirked.

"Then you've got a lot to learn," he handed it to me and I almost dropped it, not expecting to be as heavy as it was. "It's carved from a polar bears femur."

"Hm, how lovely," I said sarcastically, studying the object.

"Let me show you how it's done- hey, what's that?" He looked up into the sky with furrowed eyebrows. I looked up and was just as confused as over the large wall of ice in the distance that protected the tribe, dark clouds loomed. From these dark clouds what looked like black snow fell quite thickly, so I held out my hand to examine the flakes. "What is it?" Kavik asked, standing right next to me.

"It looks like soot... soot mixed with snow... wait, you don't suppose-,"

"The Fire Nation," Kavik muttered and panic ran through me. If the Fire Nation were closing in on the North Pole it meant that they had enough soldiers to believe they could win. "We have to tell my father," he added and I nodded in agreement, the two of us leaving his house immediately and heading up to the large armoury where the warriors trained as well. Everyone we passed was looking at the sky with confusion, some people realising what was going on whilst others looked puzzled.

We ran up the icy steps and saw the large armoury, it close to the palace. Tonraq was already stood outside, him examining the black snow like we had just done. "Dad! Dad, the snow-,"

"I know... the Fire Nation is closing in on the North Pole," Tonraq said, eerily calmly before switching on his 'head of the warriors' mode. "Kavik, go to the palace and alert Chief Arnook immediately. I'll gather the other warriors. (y/n)," he turned to me and I stiffened up, feeling awkward around his father. "Tell your friends of the situation. They should be with Master Pakku on the training grounds in front of the palace. I'll need the both of you back here in an hour," he demanded.

"Yes sir," Kavik and I said at the same time, executing our respecting tasks. I ran as quickly as I could to the water-bending training grounds, seeing Katara and Aang immediately. "Guys! Hey guys!" I called out to them as I ran, ignoring my rapidly beating heart. "They're here."