6: Jet

Prepare for the longest chapter yet!

 After a close call with a fire-nation war balloon, the four of us plus our two flying animals decided to rest amongst the trees in a large thick forest. It was beautiful, the thick trunked trees littered with autumnal coloured leaves, and it was nothing but shrubbery in every direction. We were definitely well-covered in this forest, and most likely lost the attention of the fire-nation war balloon. "I think it's probably gone now," I said, about to climb back onto Appa but Sokka stopped me.

"Uh-uh, no flying this time," he said firmly

"What? Why wouldn't we fly?" Aang asked defensively.

"Think about it! Somehow Prince Zuko and the fire-nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable," he explained and I realised he had a point.

"What? Appa's not too noticeable," Katara attempted to defend the bison.

"To be fair Katara he is a gigantic fluffy monster with an arrow on his head," I said and she shrugged.

"I know you all want to fly but my instincts tell me we should play is safe this time and walk," Sokka said.

"Who made you the boss?" Katara smirked, clearly wanting to get a rise out of her brother.

"I'm not the boss I'm the leader!" Sokka attempted to defend himself.

"You're the leader? But your voice still cracks!" Katara pointed out and I burst out laughing.

"I'm the oldest and I'm a warrior so- so I'm the leader!" He purposefully made his voice deeper as he spoke.

"Well actually I'm the oldest and I'm an actual warrior," I pointed out and he pouted.

"Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot and a leader has to trust his instincts," Sokka folded his arms.

"Fine. We'll try it your way oh great leader," I teased.

"You never know, walking might be fun!" Aang said optimistically as we all hauled our loads onto our backs and began trekking through the woods.

- Timeskip -

"Walking stinks!" Aang whined. "How does anyone go anywhere without flying?"

"I don't know Aang, why don't you ask Sokka's instincts, they seem to know everything," Katara teased and the three of us chuckled whilst our 'leader' walked ahead, clearly irked.

"I'm tired of carrying this backpack," Aang huffed and I decided to get in on the fun.

"You know who you should ask to carry it? Sokka's instincts!" The three of us laughed.

"Okay okay I get it! Look guys, I'm tired too, but the important thing is we're safe from the... fire-nation..." Sokka pushed past some bushes into an opening that turned out to be a fire-nation camp. All of the soldiers were sat around a campfire and turned when they heard us. It was silent for a moment as both sides realised what had happened.

"Oh well done Sokka," I scoffed.

"Run!" He yelled, us abandoning our gear but the fire-nation troops were fast and soon it turned into a fight. We were outnumbered massively however, but I had my swords on me so I wasn't going to go down without a fight. Two soldiers came up to me at once but I was able to quickly chop off the end of their spears.

"If you let us pass we promise not to hurt you!" I bluffed and the solider laughed.

"You promise not to hurt us?" He laughed manically but suddenly stopped, and collapsed to his knees. I saw what looked like a dart in his back, and the other soldiers around him turned in the direction the dart had come from. I looked up to the trees and saw a boy there in a brown tunic, swords clutched in both hands. He jumped down from the tree, flattening the two soldiers in front of me, and I was able to get a better look at him.