1: The Warrior

Here we go!

 The sound of whetstone scratching against the surface of the sword resonated throughout the shop filled with an array of handmade weapons. The art of weaponry had run in my family for many generations, primarily swordsmanship. I was talented in the field but I was self-taught as my mother passed away shortly after I was born, and my father left when I was five claiming I would be safer without him.

My grandmother always despised him for saying such words before leaving my life forever, not even sending a letter or money to help her take care of me. I didn't remember much of him, only hazy memories but I was intrigued to find out who the man who left me when I was only five was. I did remember the few memories I had of him to be joyous though, so perhaps he wasn't as bad as my grandmother insisted.

Still, my grandmother admitted that I had inherited his great swordsmanship. I was a natural with the blade, but also quite good in plenty of other forms of weaponry including archery and axing. I wasn't blessed with a gift like element-bending, so I made my own way in the world. Not only that but I crafted each piece to sell so that I could help my grandmother out.

Finally the blade of the sword I was sharpening was perfect, so I put it back on its display cabinet when the door suddenly opened and in came my neighbour and close friend, Emi and her son Daiki. She had been looking after me well since my grandmother passed away a few months ago. She even tried to get me to move into her house but she already a young family so the last thing I wanted to do was intrude. "(y/n)," she smiled brightly and I knew what was coming. "Happy sixteenth birthday!"

"Thanks Emi," I chuckled, straightening the sword.

"I can't believe you're working on your big day!"

"I've got to, the damn patrol will be back again tomorrow... mind you, I've only sold a quiver of arrows today. Who knows if I'll have enough to pay their taxes?"

"You can beat them up, just like last time!" Daiki, who was four, said excitedly imitating kung-fu moves. I laughed and ruffled his hair, him having always wanted to learn how to wield weapons. He was right though, the last couple of times the fire-nation tax collectors came into town I happily put them in their place and scared them off. Suddenly the bell on the door dinged as it opened and we turned to see three strangers dressed in unusual clothing come in.

"Whoa! Look at that sword!" The eldest boy said, running up to the sword I had just finished sharpening.

"Looks like you have customers. We'll be back to celebrate later, (y/n)," Emi said, hugging me then bowing at the strangers before taking her leave. I turned to get a better look at the three, seeing one girl and two boys. The girl and the eldest boy looked as though they were siblings, both having tanned skin, blue eyes and brown hair. They both wore blue robes which reminded me of water tribes from the far south. The other boy however was in orange robes, he was bald but had a distinct blue arrow leading from his back up to his forehead. They were a very peculiar bunch.

"Hello, may I help you?" I asked politely, approaching the three. It was then that I noticed the eldest had a water tribe club strapped to his belt, and I eyed it with intrigue.

"Yeah, who made these weapons?" The eldest asked excitedly.

"I did," I proudly stated.

"No, seriously, who made them?" He asked, his eyebrow arched.

"I did," I repeated.

"There's no way a girl could make these!"

"Sokka!" The girl of the group interrupted her brother, stepping forward. "I'm sorry about my brother, he can be a sexist jerk. I'm Katara, my brother is Sokka and this is Aang," she introduced them all.