Come Back

A/N: A short little OS on an upset, angry lil brother missing his big brother.

It came as a surprise to everyone. Virat skipping matches regularly in the last few months.

Virat had just hurriedly packed his bags, told Jammy bhai and Ro something had come up and that he doesn't think he'll be available for the first 2 matches, he left.

The rest of the team had found out the next morning at breakfast and it took some time to get them to calm down and drag them out for practice. Rah was upset that Virat hadn't told him at least cause he was promised they were done with secrets, but one stern glare from Rohit and he dropped it. Shubman had remained silent through all the chaos and though he'd never admit it, Ro was weary of a silent Shubman. Vi had warned him that Shub would be the hardest of the lot to pacify but he'll come around and to not take anything personally.

"Shub. Hang back for a minute?"

The kid hesitated and he looked to be contemplating if he should fake a sickness and run out or find a distraction to cause so he could make an escape, he relented and stayed when he saw no possible way out.

"Yes bhaiyaa?"

"He wanted to tell you. Rah too. Before he left, it was just an emergency and he informed me and Jammy bhai. It's nothing against you kiddo."

Though still not fully convinced, he gave a tight smile, a polite nod and walked out.

He had promised Vi he wouldn't scroll through social media especially after that horror run out with Rohit in the first T20i against Afghanistan, his own stats since the World Cup worrying, he always had Vi keeping his mind off of it, goofing off with him in the dugout, on the field, in the nets, at the team table during meals. He suddenly felt alone. He knew Rohit was there for him, but he needed that constant support he was so used to having by his side.

Practice he was so out of touch, he was frustrated with himself, he looked to where Ro was training with Shreyas and Yash and he felt that pang again

He sent Virat a text after practice,

'Everything okay bhaiyaa?'

So used to getting a reply almost instantly, he was confused when he didn't. 5 minutes turned to 10, 10 turned to 30, 30 turned to an hour, an hour turned to a day, and day turned to 3.

Shubman, spammed Vi with get well soon messages and sending funny memes to him and to his dismay none of them were seen by his big brother. Resigned he went to Rohit's room on the day of the BCCI awards, he stopped outside when he heard the ending strains of a conversation, he thought to walk away but he heard Rohit say something that stopped him in his tracks,

"Vi, he's closed himself off, he's not talking to anyone, just text him once when you get free.."

"Yeah. Yeah. Miyaan's doing fine, Rah..you know how Rah gets, Shrey's keeping him occupied these days with Jassi....yeah I have it under control here...yes Virat. You take care okay? Everything will be fine......I miss you too....yeah take care bye."

Just as he hung up, Shubman burst in, eyes wild,

"Was that Virat bhaiyaa?"

"Kid-"

"Yes or no Ro bhai."

A long sigh and the tired captain rubbed his hand over his face,

"Yes. Look he's dealing with some stuff-"

"Yeah I know he is. But why didn't he text me back?!? Is he angry at me? Is it my form?-"

"Shubhi! I'm the ONLY one he's been in touch with. And that's his house phone he called me from. He'll talk to you when everything has calmed down on his end okay?"