Kings of the World Chapter 11/15

They were on Ventura, and Miguel pulled the black car up on the side of the road. They'd left Eli and Demetri stationed in the suite with orders to help Mr. LaRusso, but not let him do anything stupid till they got back. As far as Miguel could tell Daniel had lost his mind and couldn't be trusted right now, so it was down to him and Robby to step up and fix this.

Miguel looked around. He'd passed this area many times as a passenger in the Firebird and barely given it a second glance. "This is a 7-11," Miguel said. "Why did you tell me to stop here?"

"We're not here for that, we're going in there," Robby said, pointing at the large building next door.

"An apartment block?" Miguel asked, looking down the street.

"It's not apartments," Robby said, shaking his head. "It's a retirement village, and it looks like an expensive one too."

"So?" Miguel asked. "How does that help us?"

"Some of the fancier retirement places have basic health care facilities on site," Robby said, as he scanned the street. He turned back to Miguel. "All the hospitals will over run with zombies. A place like this is going to be full of little old lady zombies and I'll bet some of them needed oxygen."

Miguel looked though the wind shield at the building. Robby was right. He was actually right. There probably was a zombie in that building that needed oxygen when they were alive. There had to be medication in there too. It was worth a shot.

"We need to drive round the back," Miguel said. "We can't do this through the front entrance."

"Why?" Robby asked.

"It'll attract too much attention if we're out in the open," Miguel said. "If we're round the back we'll be out of sight and if the noise attracts any, it'll be harder for them to find us."

"OK," Robby said, as Miguel started the car and moved forward, turning right into the service alley. There was a covered entrance by the road, but it was blocked by an abandoned car, and in front of them was ramp.

"This looks good, yeah," Miguel said, as he peered down the alley. "There's another set of doors down there and the car will bottleneck them against the walls if any get attracted by the noise. Makes them easier to kill."

He edged the car down the ramp, then brought it to a halt before the doors.

"We need to get some weapons," Miguel said, as he hit the button to pop the trunk, then climbed out and opened it.

"That's a lot of bats," Robby said, as he appeared by Miguel's side. "Mr. LaRusso told me you don't use guns, but I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth."

"We have them for emergencies, but it'd have to be a real emergency before we used one. Guns tend to cause more problems than they solve," Miguel said, as he picked up a bat and handed it to Robby. He closed the trunk, and asked, "You've killed zombies before right? You know how to handle a bat and make sure you go for the head?"

"Yeah, I've killed some," Robby said.

"I don't think you're ready to fight one close up," Miguel said. "I mean, don't get me wrong, you're a good fighter, it's just the wrong style for killing zombies."

"Wrong style?" Robby asked. "How can it be the wrong style? It's all Karate."

"Part of the Cobra Kai lessons include different methods for each type of zombie," Miguel said. "If you haven't been through the training yet you won't know which method to use."

"There are different types of zombie?" Robby asked.

"It's all to do with how long they've been dead," Miguel explained. "Fresh zombies look almost human, and they're fast. You can usually tell which ones they are as they tend to have red blood stains on them, as opposed to the brown dried blood stains, because they've just been killed. You never, ever want to go hand to hand with a fresh kill if you can avoid it. You need weapons and stealth for those."