Kings of the World Chapter 5 / 15

When Daniel and Robby arrived back at the mansion Johnny was sat in the kitchen, wearing a greying bathrobe, looking like he'd just crawled out of bed after a 3 day bender.

"Robby," he said, climbing off his stool.

Robby stopped in his tracks and turned to Daniel. "I don't want to talk to him."

"What?" Daniel asked.

"I told you, I was coming back with you because you have food," Robby said. "I don't want to speak to him."

Daniel stood for a second, then said, "Please, Robby, ju-"

"Take me back to North Hills," he interrupted.

"Daniel," Johnny said. "It's OK."

"But he's your son," Daniel said, wondering what the hell was going on. "You can't just live in the same house and not speak to each other."

"Robby, if you don't want to see me, that's fine," Johnny said. "Just... don't leave, OK? It's safe here. All I've ever wanted was for you be safe."

Robby turned back to Daniel. "Where am I sleeping?"

Daniel looked between Johnny and Robby, wondering what had happened in the past, and if perhaps he had underestimated the seriousness of the issues between them. This obviously wasn't something that could be fixed right now over a cup of coffee, so Daniel said, "I'll show you to a room."

Over the next few days it didn't get any better. Robby kept to himself, staying in his room most of the time, and only came down for meals, which he took back upstairs. Every time he left the kitchen carrying his plate Daniel felt a little more defeated, but when he turned to Johnny he could see the hurt in his face as he watched his son leave without speaking to him.

"We can't carry on like this," Daniel said as his frustration at the tension boiled over. "He can't just sit in his room all day. He needs to come mix with the other kids. He needs to talk to you."

"No," Johnny said, shaking his head. "Maybe you should go talk to him, and I'll just keep out of his way. If he wants to come out and hang with you and the others, I can go out or stay in the garage."

Daniel stared at Johnny in disbelief. He'd seen the man practically fight his way through an army of the dead to find his son, and since they'd been together Johnny had never once wavered in his belief that Robby was alive.

And he'd been right. Against all the odds Robby had survived for months, living among the dead when everyone around him died. The boy was clearly as tenacious as his father, and yet here they were, giving up on each other.

"Why are you giving up so easily?" Daniel asked. "Why aren't you still fighting for him like you fought to find him?"

"He hates me, Daniel," Johnny said. "To be honest I don't blame him. I abandoned him from the day he was born, so this is what I deserve. I want to make it up to him, I honestly do, but it's too late."

"It's never too late until we're dead," Daniel said, as he pulled him into a hug.

Daniel was in the kitchen alone when Robby appeared at the bottom of the stairs, looking around warily, checking who was in the room before he entered.

He caught sight of Daniel, then moved towards one of the bookcases and started reading the titles on the side of the books, pulling out the ones that sparked his interest and putting them on the table.