Kings of the World Chapter 1 / 15

This is a sequel to my fic Last Coors Banquet in the Valley. You probably need to read that fic to understand this one, but you don't need to read the prequel Shelter in Place

------------------------------------

Daniel could still vividly remember the first time he heard the word Zombie used on the news.

"We'll be going live to the President in a moment," The newscaster had said, holding a finger to her ear. "But until that happens I'll just recap what's happened today for anyone who has somehow missed it. As incredulous as it sounds Zombies have attacked Los Angeles, and the infection is spreading rapidly."

He picked up the remote, thinking Anthony had left the box tuned into a movie channel the night before, but when he started flicking through the menu he found nothing but static.

"What the hell?" he asked, then he threw the remote down in disgust. He hated calling the cable people, and it was the last thing he wanted to do on the first Saturday morning he'd had to himself in as long as he could remember.

When Amanda had asked Daniel if he wanted to come to the mall with her and the kids to pick out some new shoes and supplies for the school year that was starting in two days, he'd declined, saying he'd had a stressful week, and he needed to relax a little. Now he was going to have to spend his day on the phone to the cable people, and it felt anything but relaxing.

He picked up the phone, ready to dial the number, but a shrill buzzing emitted from the handset and he switched it off quickly.

He found his cell phone, but as soon as he opened it a call came in.

"Daniel!" Amanda shouted down the line. "They're everywhere, Daniel!"

"Amanda?" Daniel asked. "What's going on?"

He could hear the sound of panting breaths and screams in the background, feet running fast over asphalt as Amanda gave directions to the kids. He heard a car door open, then slam.

"Amanda!" Daniel shouted down the phone. "What's happening?"

He could hear her talking, and the sound of Sam crying in the background, so he shouted again, "Amanda!"

"Oh my god he's been bitten," Amanda shrieked down the line.

"Bitten?" Daniel asked, feeling confused. "Who's been bitten?"

"People have gone insane," Amanda said through her tears. "They were running around attacking people. Killing them Daniel. People are dead! We saw people get killed!"

"Was it a shooter?" Daniel asked.

"No, Daniel, they were biting them," Amanda sobbed. "Anthony's been bitten."

"Bitten?" Daniel asked, hardly able to believe what she was saying. "You need to take him to a hospital and get checked out. Those people could have rabies or hepatitis."

Amanda was talking in the background again, then he heard Anthony cry out in pain.

"There's so much blood," he heard her say, then Sam was screaming, "Mom! What do I do?"

"I don't know, honey, just keep pressing it."

"Mom, I don't think he's breathing!"

"Amanda?"

"Anthony? Anthony?"

"No, no! This can't be happening!"

"Mom, he's opening his eyes, look!"