Chapter 16: Not All Is What It Seems To Be

(Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura are seen trying to stand against the powerful wind, but only Naruto managed to keep on his feet while Sakura and Sasuke got blown away. As the wind wears out, Naruto can sense Sakura and Sasuke's presences.)

Naruto: Time to check if they're okay.

(Suddenly he hears a female scream, and goes to check out as he sees a giant snake standing in front of a red haired girl.)

Naruto: (in mind) A giant snake... that must be one of the reasons why this place is called the "Forest of Death".

(The snake is about to attack, but Naruto quickly rushes to block the giant's way as he punches it, easily destroying it. The girl gets shocked by seeing Naruto destroying the snake so easily.)

????: (in mind) Who is he? WHAT is he?

(Naruto then turns to the girl.)

Naruto: Are you alright?

(The girl snaps out of her thought as she gets up and composes herself.)

????: Oh yeah, I'm alright. (sighs) I never thought I would get myself in such a situation. Just in my second day at the exam?

Naruto: Well, unexpected things happen in a survival exam.

????: (sighs) You've got a point.

Naruto: Well... I gotta go.

(Naruto is about to go.)

????: Wait.

(Naruto stops and turns to the girl.)

????: Can I at least know the name of my... (seductively) knight in the shining armor?

Naruto: Um... Naruto. I'm Naruto Uzumaki.

????: (smiles) Karin.

(The girl named Karin leaves as Naruto senses an enemy presence.)

Naruto: Sasuke and Sakura are in danger.

(Naruto then rushes to where Sakura and Sasuke are as they are having a hard time fighting the unknown "female" Grass Ninja. He then jumps into the battlefield and punches "her", sending her to crash into the trees.)

Sakura: (excited) Naruto!

Naruto: Heh! Kept you waiting, eh?

(The Grass Ninja gets up and returns to the battlefield.)

Grass Ninja: So, Naruto. I can see you took care of my friend. Impressive indeed.

Naruto: (in mind) I see... that wasn't an ordinary giant snake.

(Naruto remembers having just saved Karin from the giant snake.)

Naruto: (in mind) The snake was sent by her, or it, or... whatever is this thing.

(The Grass Ninja then prepares to summon another giant snake.)

Grass Ninja: Summoning Jutsu!

(Another giant snake is summoned as the Grass Ninja laughs.)

Grass Ninja: What a delicious meal you're gonna be to it. Be careful, it likes to play with the food.

(The giant snake slams its tail, but Naruto catches it.)

Naruto: Ha! Wanna play? Let's play!

(Naruto slams the giant snake down, much to the Grass Ninja's shock.)

Grass Ninja: What strength... it's impossible!

(Naruto keeps slamming the snake nonstop which slowly causes a little earthquake, drawing everyone else's attention. Finally, Naruto slams the snake for the last time before punching its head, destroying it.)

Naruto: I must admit! This one was more durable than the last one!

(Sasuke watches the fight in both shock and fear, and suddenly he hears a male voice in his mind.)

Itachi: (over voice) Foolish little brother... If you wish to kill me, curse me! Hate me! And survive your miserable life... Run away, run away... Cling to life.

(Knowing "she" can't beat Naruto, the Grass Ninja decides to fight Sasuke instead, and he decides to fight back as the fight became evenly matched at first, but the Grass Ninja was gaining the upper hand until Sasuke used his counter attack as he used one of his jutsus.) 

Sasuke: Fire Style: Dragon Flame Jutsu!

(Sasuke burns the Grass Ninja, seemingly killing "her", Naruto then approaches him, and so does Sakura, but the former sees that the Grass Ninja still had some energy left as "she" uses a Paralysis Jutsu. Only Naruto is unaffected.)

Naruto: So you survived, eh?

Grass Ninja?: Both of you mastered your own powers (male voice) still so young. You are promising after all, especially the Uchiha. Yes... he's perfect.

Naruto: I can see you know more about Sasuke than meets the eye, whoever you are.

Grass Ninja?: Indeed, he's actually his brother... maybe his gaze is sharper than Itachi's.

Naruto: (in mind) Itachi? Where do I know this name from?

Sasuke: (stern) Who are you? WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Grass Ninja?: (chuckles) My name is Orochimaru. As for what I want, you'll have to wait until we meet again, which won't happen until this exam ends with the best classification. First, you have to defeat a Sound Ninja who serves me.

Naruto: Let me get this straight, Orochimaru. If Sasuke defeats one of your goons who is probably mixed up into the exams, you and him will meet again?

Orochimaru: Exactly, kid!

(Orochimaru then uses one of his techniques and bites Sasuke's neck, giving him the Curse Mark as the latter groans in pain.)

Naruto: Alright. What did you do to him?

Orochimaru: Shhh, I just gave him a little goodbye gift. Very soon, Sasuke will look for me, wishing for my power. (leaving) Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the demonstration of powers, you possess now.

(Orochimaru chuckles deviously as he leaves.)

Naruto: (in mind) So that was his plan all along...

(Naruto helps Sakura to tend Sasuke's while the Sound Ninjas prepare for their attack.)

Dosu: Alright, just like Orochimaru said. We will attack at Nightfall. And remember, our goal is the Uchiha.

Zaku: Yeah, but if the other two get in the way, we can eliminate them, right?

Dosu: (chuckles) Of course.

(Kin remains silent as she somehow has a bad feeling about that, especially considering how Naruto handled two of Orochimaru's giant snakes he summoned.)

(Chapter Ends)