Vol. 7.5: Chapter 5 - Santakouji

December 25th, Sunday.

"Thanks for your help, Ichinose."

"No problem! I'll see you around, Ayanokouji-kun. Merry Christmas~!"

When the three of us left my room, I garnered some stares from those who saw us together. Granted, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I may have been walking with Ichinose Honami, arguably the most popular first-year girl aside from Kushida Kikyou, and Sakayanagi Arisu, the soon-to-be Class A's sole leader, but I was also quite famous myself. Only a few students from the first-years know that I was once a class leader, but I still made a name for myself after showing stellar results during the sports festival and winning the final relay against Horikita Manabu and Nagumo Miyabi. And everyone already knew me as "Kushida Kikyou's best friend" before that. From an outsider's perspective, I was part of the social ladder's upper echelon. It shouldn't be too weird for me to be close friends with these two girls.

"You may not be aware of it, but to most of us, you're one of the normiest normies, Kiyotaka-kun..." Ijuuin once said to me. 

Anyway, Sakayanagi had plans with some of the girls in her class like Ichinose, so she didn't have time to shop with us. In the end, Ichinose helped me choose some of the Christmas presents. After a while, she also left to be with her friends. I'm grateful that she stuck with me until the end.

The gift-wrapping service was very convenient, but now, I was carrying a sizeable bag filled with presents... I'm starting to feel like a budget Santa Claus. 

"Kouji-kun?" 

I heard a familiar voice call out to me. And there's only one person who calls me "Kouji-kun" as a nickname, though it was only recently.

"Azuma?" And of course, Ichihashi was with her.

They looked as fashionable as always, especially Ichihashi.

"Oh, what a coincidence. What's up?" Azuma asked with a smile. Despite her honor student looks, she sure talks like a guy.

"What's up...?"

"You were thinking of something rude just now, weren't you?"

"No...?" I've made up my mind. Girls really are ESPers.

"You were shopping? Oh my, that's a lot of Christmas presents. Are you guys gonna have a party or something?" Ichihashi curiously inquired about my not-so-inconspicuous bag.

"No, actually. I just bought Christmas presents for a lot of my friends. Of course, you two included. Consider it a thank you since you also gave me a Christmas present yesterday."

"Wow, really?! How sweet~! Now give," Azuma smirked.

The three of us moved to a nearby bench inside the mall.

"I was just kidding you know...? You didn't have to take me seriously."

"It's fine. I'll take this opportunity so I don't have to look for you later."

"Ugh... There goes my chance for a slightly more dramatic reception of a Christmas present..."

"Here you go, Azuma. You too, Ichihashi."

"Ooh, thanks!"

"Thank you, Ayanokouji-kun."

"You're welcome. Merry Christmas," I said.

"Honestly, I never saw you as the type to give presents, Kouji-kun."

"Well, I received some presents from unexpected people, so I wanted to repay them. But I thought it was better to just buy presents for all of my friends in one go."