Vol. 7.5: Chapter 1 - Loose Thread

December 24th, Saturday

It was finally Christmas Eve. For today and tomorrow, couples would most likely spend time together. Of course, that's not the case for most students. That includes me... who just got "rejected".

Even then, I'm still curious about how people would spend these two days.

I left my room before 7 o'clock in the morning. I had separate engagements with two different people today— one whom I'd asked to meet, and one who'd asked me to meet them.

When I left the building, everything was even whiter than yesterday. It felt like a true winter morning.

"Look at all this snow..." I muttered.

According to the forecast, the snowfall was supposed to stop at around 7:00 AM, but it still kept going. The way it all piles up was mesmerizing, to say the least. Nature was certainly incredible.

I walked all the way to Keyaki Mall, but it didn't open until 10:00 AM. The meeting place was around here, so I just sat on a nearby bench after clearing some of the snow on top of it. Even though the temperature was almost the same as it was yesterday, the sight of such heavy snow made me feel colder. I should probably wear a scarf. My pockets aren't enough to warm up my hands either, so I'd also need winter gloves.

"It's rude to ask somebody to come out so early in the mornin'," said Ryuuen.

He was finally here. I honestly thought he wouldn't show up on time.

"I thought it was better if no one else was around."

"That's your problem. It's got nothin' to do with me."

"That's true. But I guess it doesn't matter that much."

Ryuuen and I were both leaders, so it wasn't weird if we were seen together. Ichinose and I had that kind of connection as well. The only problem that could arise from this would be the "traitor" narrative that Ryuuen and the real traitor cooked up.

"So, what do you need?"

"Do you remember what you said about Miyamoto back then? You said you knew how I thought, and honestly, you were right on some fronts. But unlike you, I don't think of the S-System or the class competitions as a game for the sake of my own entertainment. To me, it's more like a test... but that test was all but over the moment we reached Class A."

Ryuuen looked surprised. He probably expected me to beat around the bush. He sat beside me and continued listening.

 He sat beside me and continued listening