Chapter 33

Chapter 33

"Have a disagreement with the filing cabinet, Gage?"

They both turned to see Cooper leaning against the door.

"Ha ha, no." Gage grimaced.

Wiping his hands with a rag, Cooper looked at his hands. "I guess that means the missing invoice is still missing."

"That's why I'm here." Kelsey offered with a smirk, "and from the looks of it, I'm late."

Cooper chuckled and looked up. "Good, you'll get it and him sorted out." He looked at Gage. "Devin and the Missus are coming, Jake said."

Gage nodded, tucking his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, they'll be here tonight."

Cooper bobbed his head. "I'll tell Blair, he's on watch tonight."

"Thanks."

Looking around the room once more, Cooper tapped the side of his cap and winked at Kelsey. "Good luck, Kitty Kat."

Kelsey chuckled and shook her head. After he left, she glanced at him. "Devin's coming?"

She was biting at her bottom lip. Gage's stomach tightened as he dragged his eyes away from her mouth. "What's wrong?"

Her brow furrowed. "I don't understand the dynamics with Devin, what he is and how it works into my..." she sighed, "our world."

Perching back on the desk, he crossed his arms biting back a grin, since she'd finally admitted she was clan. He had to tuck his hands under his arms so he wouldn't wrap them around her. "Devin hasn't stepped into his father's place yet, so for now, and to us, he's just my friend Devin." He gave her a weak smile, "Calum and I are his seconds though, so when he does take over for his father the rules will change somewhat."

"So, I don't have to..." she waved her hand around, "bow to him or anything?"

Gage bit back a laugh. "Christ, no. Maybe later on in a ceremony or something, but not now." He chuckled. "I'd never hear the end of it if you did that. He doesn't like being who he is half the time."

She exhaled loudly. "See, I don't know. He's some kind of prince or something, but I still can't see the whole picture."

Gage sighed and stood up, this time he did go to lightly grasp her shoulders. "Relax. No one expects you to learn everything right now." He ran his hands down her arms and back up again, arguing with his cat that was pushing him to do more. "It's going to be all right, Kels."

"Promise?"

He almost fell into her amber eyes as she looked up at him. "Promise."

"Does Devin know about me? About..." she lowered her lashes and looked away from him.

"He does." Releasing her before he lost the battle with his cat, he let his hands hang loosely at his side. "His mate, his wife Rayne, is actually looking forward to meeting you."

Her eyes came back to his. "She is? Why?"

"Rayne just recently found out about her heritage..." he waved his hand around. "I'll let her go into the details, but she thought she might be able to talk with you and answer some questions."

Kelsey stood without moving for several seconds. He knew she didn't realize she was doing it, but it was so cat-like he was almost bouncing with joy inside.

Finally, she nodded, "I do have several..." she crunched up her nose, "thousand questions, maybe she'll be able to help."

Nodding, he stepped back, the scent he'd been almost able to ignore had just gotten stronger during their conversation. He swallowed and hoped they could get through the next day without her heat coming back, so he could have some quiet time to maybe renew her faith in him a little. At that thought, his cat reacted, almost scratching him raw on the inside; he wanted the heat, the she-cat. Trying not to shake his head, he pointed to the computer. "Please save me and help me get this invoice done before Gary has to leave."