Chapter 12

12

Kelsey lay there looking at the ceiling. She'd been awake for a while now, a bit confused about where she was. It had been a long time since she'd opened her eyes to find herself in this room. It was a good feeling until she'd remembered the night before. It was an odd moment to think, oh yeah, I'm a big cat.

Sitting up, she looked down at her legs, still in her jeans, wondering if she'd notice anything different after learning what she was. Shaking her head, she got up and went over to the window. It was so nice to see the trees with no towering buildings blocking the green space. This is home.

Sighing, she turned to get changed and ready to face Gage, which had a totally different meaning than it had before last night. As much as she tried to accept what he'd told her, she still needed to know more. So many things he said last night were flagged for further discussion. So many questions after finding out something she should have known her entire life, she sure as hell was going to get the answers today.

When she stepped into the kitchen, Gage was at the table looking through a folder. He looked up at her, his dark eyes appraising every inch of her.

"Hey, honey. Did you get some rest?"

She poured herself a cup of coffee and added a touch of sugar before turning to face him. "I actually slept like a rock. I don't think I moved at all."

He closed the folder and sat back. "That's not surprising, last night took its toll."

Sitting down, she traced the handle on the cup. "I have questions."

"I'll answer what I can, and if I don't know the answer I'll find someone who does."

His tone was soft and gentle, as if he was afraid of upsetting her again. Sipping the coffee, she looked over the rim of her cup. The only serious conversations she had planned to have with him was whether he thought of her as a sister, now, that was the furthest thing from her mind as she held his concerned gaze. Lowering the cup, she smiled a weak and helpless smile. "I don't even know where to start."

Nodding, he leaned forward on his elbows and clasped his large hands together on the table. "Pick one and we'll go from there."

"Okay." She took a quick breath. "You said I was close to the change. What exactly does that mean? How do you know I am? And why now?" She realized her one question bled into three, but he didn't seem to notice.

"Other shifters, especially from the same clan can sense, or smell it."

"I smell?" She cringed.

He grinned. "Not a bad odor smell. This is just a particular scent." He sat back and cupped his hands behind his head. "It's a scent that will only be noticed by your family."

"So, normal people wouldn't be able to smell me?"

He shook his head and dropped his hands back to the table. "No, honey, to them you don't have a scent."

"Okay." Turning the cup in a circle, she tried to stay calm enough to continue. "What's happening to me?"

"Your body is going through the natural changes..." he rolled his eyes when she glared at him, "Natural for us. Women go through it later than the males," he shrugged, "ages vary. I'm thinking you're a little later than most, because you were away and not around other shifters." He pushed the folder to the middle of the table and clasped his hands again. "You're not going to suddenly turn into a large feline on a moment's notice if that's what you're worried about."

"I don't know what to expect."

"Most of the changes at first are going to be on a..." he let out a slow breath, "I really don't know quite how to explain it all. It's different for males, we just feel the change and want to shift, everything else falls into place after that."

"And for women?" She watched him bite at the side of his lip as he thought about it. "I'm not going to like it am I?"

He gave her a hesitant look. "You've heard the expression 'a cat in heat' right?"

Kelsey's eyes widened as her jaw dropped. Blinking, she closed her mouth as a shudder went through her body. "I'm going to..." shoving the hair back from her face, she looked everywhere around the room but right at him.

"Kelsey." Her eyes flicked to him at the tone he used. "It's not as bad as you're thinking."

"I'm thinking I'm going to be like a cat in heat, acting all needy and slutty."

His lips quirked, but he didn't smile. Points for him there. "You won't be slutty. This is natural with our kind and nothing to be ashamed of. It's not something you can stop or turn off."

"Wonderful," she muttered. Her mind was going faster with the adrenaline pumping through her veins. "So, when you said I was close to the change, that's what you meant?"

"Among other things, yes. The chances of you changing are high too, so your body is going to start wanting that."