16 | 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

Start from the beginning

Thank the lord, I was a track runner in High School. I was pretty bad at it, as I ran the a thousand meter and would always come second to last.

What? It was the only sport I could do...

The relentless California sun didn't really help, but my endurance definitely went up; even though I joined sophomore year. I made a few friends along the season as well. Track was also where I met my friend, Adelina who moved from Italy when she was eight.

Now that I am thinking about our friendship, Adelina was a far better runner than I was. She always placed first at every single race— even attempting a half marathon at fifteen-years-old. 

Adelina and I grew into best-friends, but her memory is something my brain always tended to try and forget.

Memories of the kidnapping were also withering away as my brain was adamant on blocking out any traumatic events. But, as I walk I think about Adelina who loved flowers just as much as I did.

Adelina was even worse than me regarding flowers. That says a lot. She knew what each flower represented, each meaning resonating with her deeply. Till this day, I cannot even comprehend her death. It was such a disrespectful way of passing.

This guy had asked her to date him, but Adelina was very set on finding the one. It was something we always talked about during practice, planning our wedding on a two-thousand meter set of repeats.

Adelina rejected this guy who couldn't handle hearing "No," even with a thank you.

I was never really good at making friends in High School nor did I want to because my mom was my best-friend. Mama had me at fifteen so naturally we were extremely close.

I had seen too many friendship breakups and betrayals that it frightened me to open up. All my friends from middle-school and elementary were scattered throughout the entirety of California; leaving me alone.

It never really settled to me how to remake friends until maybe junior year. Adelina was my first best-friend and she was genuinely a really great person. She was popular, having friends she's known since elementary, so the only time we'd really reconnect was track.

Nobody wanted to be long distance runner.

I remember the first time she hung out at my house, she's the first ever friend that I even allowed to a space so important to me but she felt like a sister then.

We'd grown closer after such a short period of time. It was nice: making ramen, watching movies, going to cafés, running races and even just walking around the neighborhood.

I finally let myself reminisce this painful memory after four years.

Adelina was apparently, based off of the news and her family on an outing in Northern California with her friends when she forgot to call home to ask for a ride. Instead she walked alone, and the same guy she rejected stabbed her multiple times.

He had been stalking her, ever since she rejected him. Adelina passed away with his initial carved on her stomach. The guy was sentenced life in prison.

Her death was eerie. Adelina was such a presence, that it felt wrong running without her slowing down to converse with me. I quit track, junior year after a single day of practice without her.

I've never seen a funeral with more flowers than Adelina Rialla Kapazioni. It still infuriates me that she had to pass away in this manner, and her life was cut this short.

Maybe I might start running again, just to keep Ade's memory alive. Now that she's not stuck in the back of my mind I feel so healed.

Thank you Ade, and to all the people that died in a similar way to Adelina, I hope you are resting in peace.

✧˚ · .

I had around three classes the entire day spread out at different times. In between each class I studied at a nearby Cafè— glancing at my phone for a reply from him; feeling oddly over-fatigued.

Usually after a couple of drinks the night before, I'm not this tired. This is actually so weird for me. If I lay my head down I will seriously fall asleep.

TMI, but I've also been peeing like a lot recently. I always drink like a crazy amount of water everyday, but never frequented the bathroom this much.

I feel so off today and I was completely fine this morning. Even Alaina and Emi have noticed my weird irritability, which is normal but today it was not in a joking type of manner.

It was as if I'm genuinely irritated.

Currently, I am at my last class before I head out with Alaina and Emi. I can't even concentrate on writing notes while my professor is lecturing because my hands are so shaky.

My gosh.

The lecture is over now, yet the entire time I was shaking. I can feel the sweat starting to form as little beads on my neck. My classmates are thanking me for the flowers and I nod wearily to be nice, but honestly all I can think about is how much I want to lie down.

My hands are clammy, and I'm gripping onto my bag until I could see my knuckles whiten. I walk slowly to the courtyard, spotting Emi and Alaina.

They reach over to give me a hug, my vision starting to blur. They're speaking to me but my hearing is fading until my vision goes completely black and I feel myself limp in both of their arms.

✧˚ · .

A/N ୨♡୧
i am so proud of my nora, but what's to come?
my poor love!

see you soon.

kisses,
— z

Her cute sandals!

Her cute sandals!