𝟢𝟦𝟣,𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

FORTY - ONE

I think this is the cutest fourteen-year-old I've ever seen.

Brown, longer curls that sit around his head. Chubby, bright cheeks and a giant smile that makes both my and Chuck's eyes twinkle.

"Hi," he says formally, holding out his hand. "I'm Chuck Edison. Nice to meet you, Thomas's girlfriend."

I can't hold a laugh back. "Hi, Chuck. Nice to meet you, too! I'm Rosalind, but you can call me Rose."

"Okay. Rose. I like it." He nods in an approving way, then glances at Thomas and steps aside to let us in. "How'd Thomas even manage to pull you?" He whispers while Thomas takes his jacket off.

I laugh again. "Well, have you looked at him?"

Chuck stares at Thomas for a good few seconds, shaking his head. "Nope. I only see an idiot, but lovely cousin."

"I was hoping that. Would be crazy if you, as his cousin, would think the same of Thomas as me." I follow him into the living room, which is a small place with warm brown colors.

"What do you think of Thomas, then?"

"If you want me to name that whole list, we're gonna be here for quite a while. And I can tell—"

"—talking about Thomas for hours is torture for me, yes," he agrees, smiling because of the shared minds. "Oh, there Bark is."

My eyes follow a black lab walking closer in a slow pace, his tongue out of his mouth as he breathes heavily. "...Bark?"

"He barks a lot. So I named him Bark."

I pet the dog. "Hm. Not sure who's better at giving names. You or Thomas? Bark or Glitter?"

"I don't know either, but I know for sure that Bark is better than Glitter!"

"Strongly agreed," Thomas says.

"What's this and your hate to Glitter? She's lovely!" I cross my arms.

The boys give each other a glance, cough, and the avert their eyes.

"What?" I urge, straightening my back. "Tell me! Chuck, come on. Maybe I'll love Bark more, then."

Thomas shakes his head, but Chuck has already given up with a sigh. "Thomas and I like pranks," he starts.

"You like pranks. I only get dragged into them."

"Oh, shut up. You giggle like a little kid after each prank." Chuck waves Thomas off, resulting me to chuckle again. "So one day—"

"We were super young!" Thomas adds, his voice higher pitched into a more denying tone.

"—we sprayed Glitter pink and put glitters all over her..." Chuck says the words as if he only now realizes it's quite bad what they did.

I triumphantly turn to Thomas. "And you're wondering why she hates you?"

"I was eleven!" He peeps again.

"Is that the reason you called her Glitter?"

"Maybe." He pulls a face. "It's better than Bark. Just because he barks a lot, doesn't mean he should be named after it."

"Yeah, because if everyone would be named after what they do a lot, you'd be named idiotic yapper," Chuck spats, clearly not amused by the hate on his dog.

"I think it's a very fitting name," I tell Chuck. A glare from Thomas and I quickly add, "For Bark, I mean."

"Thank you!" He makes a pleasing sign with his hands, bows, and then looks around. "Can I get y'all something to drink?"