𝟢𝟢𝟧,𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 & 𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

FIVE

"You." Newt grabs my arm. "Come with me and don't be a little girl."

I frown. My ballet bag is in my hands because I just packed it; I have lessons in an hour. "Sorry?"

"We're gonna meet some people at the ice rink, because Tommy wants me to meet them."

"I— what? If he wants you to meet them, why do I have to come with you?" He's walking so fast that I'm half running behind him. "And don't be a little girl... what's that supposed to mean? I'm eighteen!"

"You're like a golden retriever stuck in the body of a smiling girl," he says. "We're gonna meet his teammates so don't drool or anything."

Meet his teammates. My furrowed eyebrows loosen until they're high up. "Aha! Newtie's nervous to meet some boys his age! And you want your 'golden retriever' sister to help you."

"That is not true." He scowls, but the blush on his cheeks says enough.

"Then why else are you bringin' me? I could tell them all the shameful things you've done in your life," I say. "I could ruin your life! I can say you're an awesome skater while you're not... that you cried when you fell on the rink! And you were fifteen!"

"Stop yapping."

"I'm not— well, maybe." I lower my head, then stare at the bikes. "Come on! I hope it's not too windy because I'm wearing a skirt but—"

"I got a driver's license, remember?"

"Oh, yeah." I exhale. "Do I need a helmet? Do you know the way to the—"

"You'll be fine. Come on. Cut the questions." He sits me down in the car, commands me to put on my seatbelt, and then starts driving.

The helmet really was a joke. He's a perfect driver.

"Is Thomas a good hockeyer?" I wonder. "I've seen him at the rink but never saw him play."

"He was."

"Was?" I repeat. Again, the frown forms on my face. Man, I've got to stop doing that or I'll get wrinkles. "What do you mean? How do you even know he was good?"

"Sent me some videos before we lived here," Newt explains, his eyes focused on the road. "But there was an accident and since that, he hasn't been able to go back on the ice properly."

"He went back when I was there. So it's all good now, right?"

I nearly throw up at the thought of me getting into an accident and not being able to dance. Now, I obviously don't know if hockey means as much to Thomas as ballet means to me, but I already feel bad for him.

"He's trying to get back into it," Newt corrects. His hands tighten around the wheel. "But it takes a lot of work to get back at such a high level and his coach doesn't have enough time to constantly help him. Neither do his teammates. They got their own school things and studies."

My bottom lip disappears behind my teeth. "Oh. That's sad. Is he alright?"

"I think so." Newt looks behind us and through his own window to park the car, then we get out. "This way."

"I know." I smile. "I've been here. Have you been here before? How do you find this town, by the way?"

"It's great. Nice stores and people," he says. "Nice school."

"Good." I make a jump over a threshold, smiling. "Thanks for bringing me, by the way. Mom won't have to drive me to class. Will you wait for me?"

"How long does it take?"