twelve

chapter twelve
dinner

           "You know what your job is gonna be soon, right?" My father asks me as he makes dinner, I was setting the table

           "You know what your job is gonna be soon, right?" My father asks me as he makes dinner, I was setting the table. I glance at the clock, it was past five thirty.

"What?" I question, not lifting my head, showing I wasn't interested in the conversation.

"A vampire hunter" He boldly claims. I tense up for a second, I thought he gave up on trying to get me to become one of those idiots.

"No I'm not. Vampires aren't bad. I'm not gonna hunt them" I refuse, having done this a thousand times before, he just sighs and continues cooking.

"When are those vampires getting here?" He scoffs. "You told them five thirty, didn't you?" He looks over his shoulder at me.

I nod. "Yeah, I don't know what's taking them so long.." I trail off, turning my head to stare at the door.

"Such a bad first impression.." He sings, shaking his head.

I stare at him. "Come on, this probably isn't their faults--!" A knock on the front door cuts me off. "See? Only fifteen minutes late"

"You stay here, I'll get the door" He wags a finger at me before walking over to the door. I watch as he unlocks the door and opens it. "Are you two the vampires?"

"I told you their names!" I shout to my father. He could at least try to be nice to them.

"Alex and Wilbur?" He adjusts his question to make it sound more welcoming, it didn't help much.

"Oh! Hi Y/N!" Alex peeks over my fathers shoulder and waves to me. I'm glad to see he was better than when I last saw him. Both of them wore white dress shirts and black suit jackets. Fancy.

"Alex.." Wilbur quietly scolds him before clearing his throat. "Uh, yeah. I'm Wil, and this is Alex. Y/N told me to come here for dinner today?" He talks with my father, I really hadn't expected them (well mostly Wilbur) to be so formal.

"You're late" My father points out. "Fifteen minutes later"

"Sorry about that. The sun was still up and Alex also wanted to make Y/N a gift before we left. It took a while" Wil nudges Alex with his elbow. "Did we miss dinner?" He hesitantly adds.

"No, I'm still getting it ready" My father replies. He notices how they don't walk in when he moves out of the way. "Uh, come in.." He nods.

The two immediately step in, Alex rushes over to me while Wilbur holds a hand out towards my father. "Y/N! Look, I found these cool pencils with different colors and then I drew this" Alex shows me his drawing, I glance at the two behind him. My father shakes Wil's hand. "I didn't really know what to draw so I drew a ton of random things, I did draw a lot of ducks though" He points at the yellow ducks on the paper. "Here" He offers it to me.