Ch.4 - Bugs, prt 1

On the third day, James' muscles protested with every move, and he groaned as he sat up. Bleary eyed, he took in the interior of the small shuttle.

'Well shit,' he muttered.

'Good morning to you too,' Dakarai replied.

James managed some kind of grimace that was meant to be a smile. His head ached. 'I think I've become at least eighty.'

'Oh yeah, me too,' Rebecca mumbled from the bunk bed above.

James struggled out of the bed and pulled on the suit.

Funny how fast you got used to things, he reflected. The smell didn't bother him as much anymore.

'You're all alive. I'm impressed,' Bill said from over by the monitor.

'You too,' James said, wondering if he'd forgotten about the save yesterday.

Bill gave him a glance, then returned his attention to the screen. 'Last day to reach the quota. I've asked the ship to take us to a different location. I hope there's more to gain there.'

'Oh, nice,' Rebecca chirped, suddenly looking more alive. 'Maybe it won't be as bad there.'

'Yeah, I really hope so,' James agreed.

'Sure, it'll be a walk in the park,' Bill grumbled.

Dakarai laughed. 'What a burn. I think it'll be worse.' He nodded as if he knew what he was talking about.

'Wouldn't that be delightful,' James snickered, hoping he was wrong, but fearing he was right.

'Landing the ship. Get ready.'

'I haven't had breakfast yet!' James shouted as he grabbed for his helmet. The ship was fast and he didn't trust that Bill would wait.

'Don't sleep in then,' Bill said and gave a quick grin. It didn't make him look friendlier.

Groaning, they got ready, and as soon as the ship settled they ventured towards the new facility. It lay farther away from the ship this time, but the terrain was much flatter. No climbing hills, which James' legs thanked him for.

'Man, I was so unprepared for this job. I will be dead in a few days like this,' he complained.

Bill gave him an odd look.

'What?' James grouched.

'Nothing,' Bill said, walking on ahead of him.

The wind buffeted them, kicking up dust and obscuring their vision.

'Is it getting windier? I mean, yesterday I could barely see the ship when we got back,' Rebecca said.

'Maybe a storm coming?' Dakarai asked, looking up. But the skies were clear.

'I think it's just windy here,' James said, noting the wind-worn rocks.

'Hope so. A storm would actually kinda suck,' Dakarai said.

'There it is!' Rebecca pointed and they all looked.

Through the hazy air, a large, angular edifice loomed. Larger than the first they'd been at. And hopefully, less looted.

'Let's go,' Dakarai said. 'We'll find what we need here for sure.'

After about an hour of walking through long dark corridors and empty rooms, James began to despair. Would they be fired after all? After just three days? Because they couldn't find enough scrap? It was ridiculous. Surely they should be able to find something?