48. Perfect Match, Huh?

Start from the beginning

"Derek Holding." He said expectantly.

"In the flesh." I replied, my eyebrows furrowing slightly at his gift.

"Perfect, sign here." The guy thrust a scanning pad forward, to which I signed in straight confusion. I hadn't ordered anything, right? Were some parts on back order for the computer?

"What is it?" I asked the delivery guy, but he just shoved the box into my hands, took a picture, and left me to it. "How charming," I muttered, closing my apartment door behind me with my foot while I tried to catch sight of the label on the side of the box.

Everything was unmarked besides my shipping label on the front. There wasn't even a return to sender address.

I couldn't help but think it was a bomb.

And that realization brought on another— that I might have just lived a life worthy of getting a bomb sent to my home and the fact that I saw that as totally plausible, was probably not a good thing.

But then again, none of my previous partners were smart enough to do something like this. Or stupid enough to send it through the mail, I hoped. Actually who fucking knows.

Once I hesitantly got the box open, I was even more confused to see a folded large silk off-white bag. It took me completely pulling the bag out to realize what exactly it was, and when I took a look inside, I felt my heart fucking flutter. In the otherwise empty cardboard box remained a small card, and when I flipped it over, I saw the message written in familiar handwriting. I now had a small collection of cute post-it notes with that fancy handwriting.

Wear the one you want to. Not the one you're expected to.
I'll see you soon, love.
xx

I probably stared at that card in my hand for at least half an hour. Well at least that's what it felt like.

I just couldn't believe it. John was just-

-

The suit fit perfectly. I didn't know how this man got my measurements, but then again this was John. He probably had the connections to get it from anywhere including Magasin De Costume. I felt the smile on my face only grow when I got a glimpse of the beautiful light green color.

I was a bit ashamed about leaving Brad's stellar choice discarded like rubbish on my bed, but I told myself that we'd just let Brad keep thinking his suit won out.

He deserved that bit of happiness.

My giddy bubbly feeling faltered slightly when I now realized I owed John for two expensive ass suits. I know he absolutely wouldn't see it that way, but I sure did. I didn't want him spending so much on me. I loved all the qualities about John that didn't require the money, and I wanted him to know that.

But for tonight, I'd just let him win with this one. I wasn't even sure how he found the exact suit from the picture I sent so this... this meant way more than just money.

And the smile it put on my face was something money couldn't buy. It was from the heart melting thought John managed to always put into everything.

John was good to send an 'on the way' text before he came. I was just stupid enough to not charge my phone beforehand so it was sitting in my bedroom, unattended and on the charger by the time I heard another knock on my door.

At first I couldn't tell why I was so nervous, but then I remembered this was John we were talking about. It only took a look from him to evaporate what little brain cells I was still working with.

Once that door was swung open, the smile that spread across my lips at John damn near hurt my cheeks. Holy fucking fuck, I thought.

He was in a crisp champagne colored suit, with jet black pants and an all black inside button down shirt. He wasn't wearing a tie, instead opting for a few undone buttons that led to his exposed collarbone and upper chest.