FAQs

Does my short story/poetry have to be a single chapter?

For short story: Yes, as your story, if it wins, will be featured in an anthology, please, keep your one-shot written in a single chapter/part.

For poetry: Since the length of the poem should not exceed 400 words, please, keep it in a single chapter.

Do I have to follow the prompt? Or can I write my own short story/poetry?

The prompts and theme are general guidelines and are designed to be as non-restrictive as possible. Providing it is clear to those judging that your short story or poetry is inspired by the prompt/theme, you are free to write your story as you see fit. The prompts should be open enough to give you room to exercise your creativity

Can I incorporate a sub-genre?

Yes, you can incorporate any sub-genre as long as it follows the Content Guidelines and the prompt.

Can my short story/poetry be a fanfiction?

Yes, you can write fanfiction, as long as it follows the prompt/theme. Use the 'Fanfiction' category and #fanfiction tag so the right audience will be able to find it.

Can I submit a story/poem co-written with a friend?

Yes, but please, provide the other contributing authors' names in the form, so they will also receive credit.

Can I write mature works?

No, we do not accept mature-rated content this year. To know what is considered mature content, please, read the Wattpad Content Guidelines.

Can I submit a story with LGBTQ+ Characters?

Of course! This contest and Wattpad as a whole are always inclusive of LGBTQ+ characters and stories. We would love to read about them!

Can the entries be over the word count?

Unfortunately, no. A part of the contest's challenge is to write an engaging and unique short story/poem within the given maximum word count. (8k for short story/ 400 for poetry)

How will our entries be judged?

Stories and poems are judged on various factors, such as written quality (spelling, punctuation, and grammar), originality, relevance to the prompt/theme, and engagement (how much we enjoyed the read).

When will the results be announced?

Winners will be announced across all profiles by the third week of March. This will give our judging teams ample time to properly read and assess your stories.

Can I write more than one story for each category?

As much as we would love you to write to your heart's content, we can only accept one short story/poem per user for this contest. You can, however, compete in both categories!

How do I submit?

Using THIS FORM. Also, don't forget to let your followers know you've written something new! 

Before submitting, please make sure you read carefully the contest's guidelines and that your story/poem follows Wattpad's Content Guidelines. Entries that do not follow the guidelines will not be considered for judging.

Happy writing!