Chapter Seven

The banquet hall was drenched with color, foreign spices, and the electric hum of conversation and music, plenty of reasons for everyone to be distracted. Even Fulbright could not help but admire the enormous amount of effort his mother had put into this year's summer commencement banquet as he stood next to his two brothers and sister, while greeting the incoming guests. While his relationship with his siblings existed primarily through formal events and monthly family gatherings, Fulbright felt a deep sadness knowing from this moment forward, he may never truly know them.

As the receiving line began to dwindle, Fulbright noticed Alden and his family making their way toward him. Unable to break his royal formalities with a wave, he and Alden locked eyes and smiled at each other. Fulbright kept his interactions brief with court dignitaries and officials, hoping to move the procession along until it was Alden's turn to make his way down the line.

"Fulbright," Alden replied with a hearty handshake, the dimples in his cheek embracing his warm smile.

"Evening, Alden," Fulbright replied stoically. "On behalf of the royal family, I welcome you."

Alden grimaced. "Ugh, it sounds so contrived coming from you."

Fulbright punched Alden in the arm. His sister Eleni glared at him.

Alden cleared his throat."Your mother outdid herself this year."

"Yes, she even let me send out a last minute invitation on behalf of a good friend of mine." Fulbright replied, directing Alden's eyes into the crowded banquet hall.

Near the entrance of the banquet, shimmering in a metallic scale-like gown was Shay, unaware that she was being watched. Fulbright turned to see that Alden's face was flushed, and mouth partially ajar.

"So you do like her?" Fulbright said with a smile.

"Absolutely," Alden mumbled. "I mean, excuse me, I'm going to say hi. Oh, and thank you, friend."

Fulbright chuckled as Alden walked away in a romantic stupor, like a fish unaware of the shiny hook waiting on the end of a lure. He watched as Alden gently touched Shay on the elbow to make his presence known to her. Shay turned and smiled warmly at him, unafraid to show her attraction to him. It was the first time that Fulbright had seen Alden so enamored with someone. His smile faded, realizing that he would miss this new chapter unfolding for his friend.

Fulbright felt a gentle tap on his shoulder from behind. Alarmed, he spun around.

"Malay," he exhaled. "You're breaking protocol by skipping the line."

Malay crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow, "And since when do you adhere to protocol?"

Fulbright looked at the line of guests still waiting to be greeted. Among them he could see the spindly frame of Master Twiggens, his face and eyes brighter than usual. Fulbright could not gather whether or not Master Twiggens was happy to have been invited or happy to expose Fulbright as a failure.

Fulbright groaned, remembering the list of crimes he had committed against Twiggens and the letter of apology he owed him, not to mention the confession he owed his parents. He could not risk being exposed, not when he was so close to freedom.

"You know, you are absolutely right, Malay," he stammered, pushing her away from the receiving line and toward the courtyard.

"I am?" Malay asked quizzically.

"Fulbright, where are you going?" Eleni whispered loudly. "Fulbright? Fulbright!"

Fulbright ignored his sister's demand for him to return to his station, while Malay protested as Fulbright spun their faces away from guests passing by, hoping to avoid being recognized. In his haste, Fulbright and Malay spun right into a guest rushing toward the banquet hall carrying something heavy. A bag of sand fell out of her hands and spilled onto the cobblestone. She gasped as she bent down to pick up the empty sack. Fulbright look down at the cloaked guest and noticed a small tear in the hood of her cloak.