Chapter Four

Fulbright could no longer hear the shouts and shrills coming from around him. The blood pounding in his ears was almost deafening as adrenaline surged through his chest. The soaring arrow, Gaven and Omar running toward Keir, even the reaction of his classmates all seem to move in slow motion. An eerie glow danced around Keir's silhouette. The green light flickered like a familiar memory, however its significance remained foreign to Fulbright. His eyes followed the path of the arrow as it drew nearer to it's prey.

Rahnka's fingers slipped under the clasp of her cloak, finally freeing herself. As her feet landed in the sand, Fulbright heard the arrow dig into the log as it pierced the hood of her cloak. Rahnka dug her hands into the sand, its energy illuminating her tattoo. In one swift motion, she thrust a wall of sand toward Keir and knocked him onto his back. He rolled over and moaned, grabbing the left side of his face. Gaven grabbed him by the arm with two fingers and led him toward the door.

"Uuuh, my head," Keir moaned as Gaven slid to a halt in front of him, roughly pulling Keir to his feet. Keir looked over at Rahnka who was examining her torn cloak. She gave him a saucy glare. "What did I do?" he asked again, more frightened this time.

Gaven ignored Keir's question as he dragged him toward the front entrance. Keir looked over his shoulders and examined the expressions on his classmates' pale faces.. Keir threw his fist at the stone wall and screamed until he was out of the arena. Everyone was silent, shifting their attention to Master Omar who had retrieved Rahnka's cloak and handed it back to her.

The arena was so quiet that it was hard for Rahnka to walk back to the sitting area without each crunching footstep drawing more unwanted attention to herself. Now that she was no longer veiled by her cloak, her face and body were exposed in the late morning sunlight. It was quite apparent to Fulbright that everyone was gazing at her beauty as was he. Her richly embroidered garments displayed pride in who she was as a Peorian, and Fulbright was elated to see another nonconformist in Ackerley. Rahnka glanced at him as she walked by and frowned slightly before wrapping her cloak around her neck and disappearing into the crowd.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances," Omar stuttered. "I am dismissing class earlier than usual. Do remember to keep a leash on wagging tongues."

"But what about my exam?" Fulbright asked while everyone began to rise.

"You will have to come see me first thing tomorrow morning before your graduation ceremony, I am afraid," Omar said gravely. "Sorry, Master Fulbright."

Fulbright sank into his chair, disappointed over his misfortune. He looked down at his leather rucksack stuffed with tiny scrolls. He grabbed one and opened it, staring vacantly at the words written on it.

You are cordially invited this evening
to join the Royal Family
for the opening night of the Summer Bazaar
with a special graduation dedication to
Prince Fulbright

Fulbright felt foolish over the thought of inviting anyone now. Having a graduation celebration would be humiliating. Suddenly, two hands hooked underneath Fulbright's arms and hoisted him to his feet while another snatched the scroll from his hands.

"And what is this?" Malay teased as she read the contents. Her countenance changed as she handed the paper to Alden. "Oh Fulbright, this is awful!"

Alden consoled Fulbright. "Today has been a brutal day for you, friend. What are you going to tell your parents?"

Fulbright sighed, as he took the paper and rolled it up. "I am not going to tell them anything. I will just invite you two. The Hall will be swarming with my father's guests; he will hardly notice mine. Here." Fulbright handed Malay and Alden each an invitation.

"Yes, but your mother will notice," Malay stated.

"That's true," Fulbright agreed. "I will have to think of a few more people to invite between now and this evening."

"Shay!" Alden exclaimed as Shay walked by. "I will see you both tonight."

She turned and looked at Alden, a silvery smile sliding up into the crevices of her cheeks as he ran toward her. Fulbright and Malay stared at Alden and Shay talking with one another in a way that neither Fulbright or Malay had ever witnessed before. Alden held out his arm for Shay to link hers with his as the two disappeared into the crowd. Fulbright and Malay remained silent until it grew awkward. Fulbright looked down at the floor and ran his hand through his hair before meeting Malay's gaze.

"Well, I guess we had better get to our next class," said Fulbright as he began to walk toward the entrance. "Some fight today, huh?"

"Most unusual," Malay replied. "Especially the strange green light coming from Keir. I have seen woodland elves with greater skill than him, and I have never seen them--"

Fulbright spun around. "Wait, you saw it too?"

"You mean you---" Malay began.

Fulbright nodded. "What about Alden? Did he mention anything about it?"

Malay shook her head. "I pointed it out to him as soon as it appeared, but he said he saw nothing."

Fulbright's shoulders slumped. Malay noticed his disappointment.

"Hey, is my word suddenly not good enough for you?" She teased.

"I just don't understand how we could be the only ones that saw it," Fulbright frowned.

"Do you think it might have something to do with our Alodian side?" Malay asked.

"If it does, You would make a good priestess," Fulbright replied earnestly.

Malay scrunched her freckled nose and stuck out her tongue in disgust. "And turn out like Xan? No thank you!"

Fulbright laughed. "Why don't you like your brother?"

"Oh I like him. I just don't like how my mother controls him. Ever since the Alodians made an exception to allow him to study there, my mother is making sure he is in line to become High Priest."

"Speaking of Xan," Fulbright interjected. "Do you think he would ever have time to investigate something for me?"

Malay crossed her arms and pouted. "And why should my brother have all the fun?"

"I don't know how much fun it would be to search through a bunch of ancient text," Fulbright laughed.

"What about?"

"The Valley."

Malay gasped. "Why would you want to know about something as dark as that?"

"I knew I shouldn't have asked you," Fulbright sighed.

"No, no, no, I will ask him," Malay said, holding her hands up in surrender. "Care to enlighten me, Fulbright?"

Fulbright stopped walking and contemplated telling Malay everything. After all, they had been friends longer than he and Alden had. Her mother was Alodian, not to mention an Alodian priestess. Fulbright saw her in his father's courts at least once a month over the course of his life. But something about Malay had changed last summer. Fulbright knew that there was something different between them, but because they had been close for so long, familiarity stood in the way of him putting words to the change.

"I would," he hesitated. "But that would be a long story, and this is my stop."

"What?" Malay asked, confused.

A bell clanged in the distance. Fulbright smiled at Malay and winked. "Will this be your first tardy?"

"Oh!" Malay jumped at the sound. "Oh, Fulbright...goodbye!"

Malay punched Fulbright in the shoulder before turning to run to her class.