chapter 3

As the sun dipped lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the estate, the final preparations for departure were underway. Suitcases neatly lined up, the butler overseeing the organized chaos, and a sense of urgency lingering in the air. Yet, amidst the hustle, Taehyung found solace near his beloved lily garden.

Seated on a bench, he engaged in a seemingly whimsical conversation with his flowers, sharing the melancholy of their imminent separation. Soft tears traced down his cheeks as he plucked a few lilies, tenderly placing them behind his ear – a parting gesture to his cherished garden. Closing the garden door with a gentle caress, he turned away, taking one last bittersweet look at the home he would dearly miss.

Stepping into the corridor, the weight of nostalgia clung to his every step. A final glance around the house, a mental imprint of each room, and then he ventured towards the exit area. Chaos reigned as maids and the butler rushed about, finalizing the packing. Junghyun's stern voice cut through the commotion, urging everyone to hasten.

♠︎

"Let's go! Why are you still standing here? Our car is already here!" His words echoed loudly, startling a poor soul in his place. Taehyung hurriedly bid Mina a silent goodbye, veiling his face, and stepped outside. Junghyun extended his hand, a gesture he accepted, walking toward the waiting car. Casting one last wistful gaze at their home, he settled into the car, the weight of sadness settling in his heart like a heavy stone.

The carriage rumbled forward, the engine roaring to life, marking the commencement of their journey. The road stretched endlessly, passing through cities and towns, the hum of the engine becoming a constant companion. Day turned into night, and it wasn't until the following day that the grand estate finally came into view.

♠︎

Taehyung, nestled against Junghyun's shoulder, was lost in a deep slumber. He gently patted his thigh, coaxing him to wake up. Blinking away the drowsiness, his eyes widened at the sight that greeted him – an ominous and cold landscape. The carriage gradually emptied as stoic butlers efficiently handled their belongings, disappearing into the eerie atmosphere.

The path leading to the main mansion was long, flanked by naked trees with crows cawing overhead. A strange silence enveloped the air, and Taehyung felt an unsettling sensation in the pit of his stomach. Suppressing the urge to throw up, he clutched Junghyun's hand tightly as they started walking along the muddy yet strangely pristine path.

From his vantage point, he could catch a glimpse of a river winding through the estate, a juxtaposition of beauty and horror. Dried leaves crunched beneath their feet as Junghyun draped a fluffy coat over his shoulders. Approaching the end of the path, he noticed his mother-in-law standing with maids, each holding blood-red flower petals in their hands, ready to welcome them. The chilling atmosphere hinted at the mysteries that lay within the confines of the foreboding mansion.

♠︎

She smiles and steps forward; her presence exudes an ethereal beauty that leaves Taehyung momentarily speechless. Throughout their journey, a lingering sense persists—dark eyes seemingly watch them, excluding the mother-in-law, who maintains a lowered gaze. "Finally, you're here, dear," she warmly greets them, pulling back to hold Taehyung's hand. Taehyung reciprocates with a heartfelt greeting, "H-hello, Mother," accompanied by a warm embrace.

As the grand door opens, they step into the mansion, greeted by an unexpected darkness. Taehyung contemplates voicing his concerns but restrains himself, sensing the inopportune moment. The mother-in-law, sensing their arrival, expresses anticipation for an upcoming celebration. Taehyung offers a smile as the mother-in-law lifts his veil, leaving a gentle kiss on his forehead. "You'll give us the crown of our family. I feel like it's a boy," the mother-in-law adds, patting Taehyung's shoulder, and directs them toward the living room.